Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know snakes are not meant to be handled at certain times (within 48 hours of feeding, during shed etc etc) nor are they 'social' animals but I try to bring my royals out at LEAST once per week, so they're comfortable with being picked up and handled.

How often do you handle your snakes?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Most of mine come out virtually every day. As a minimum, I give them a quick check over. They take it in turns to come into the front room to watch TV with me, though! The burm and boa do this most often, but if Steve Irwin is on telly, I take the Coastal Carpet in with me! :lol2:

Reactions: Bumblebee2012

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weeks or months apart and no real issues of not doing it more often?
No issues if you leave them for a month or so? Handling-wise, of course. I'd of thought they'd become more skittish?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I only handle mine when I'm cleaning vivs

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I try to give mine a stretch out of the viv at least once a week, there's been longer and shorter periods of time around that too though.
Typically I try to handle the skittish or defensive ones more often to try to calm them down but my calm ones come out every week or so unless I have a week where I have a lot more spare time.

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
No issues if you leave them for a month or so? Handling-wise, of course. I'd of thought they'd become more skittish?
No noticeable issues and seeing that these according to the 'net' are spastic chainsaws I dont see this peace a bad thing?

I take no pleasure in handling them and see no point in stressing them any more than needed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of mine come out virtually every day. As a minimum, I give them a quick check over. They take it in turns to come into the front room to watch TV with me, though! The burm and boa do this most often, but if Steve Irwin is on telly, I take the Coastal Carpet in with me! :lol2:
That's why I bring mine out at least once a week, to check them, can never be too careful when it comes to mites and other horrible things... It's the same with all my animals, even my dogs get checked when I wrestle them. Feeling for lumps, etc.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Every couple of days with Dixie as she is quite quick and skittish so I am trying to get her used to being handled. The boas were out pretty much every day and they came on trips to the pub with me and allsorts.

I think everyone will have different opinions and things on this.

I feed my snakes in separate RUBs and so they are handled relatively soon after feeding to go back in their vivs/rubs/tanks etc.

Only ever had one regurge and I never figured out what that was!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No noticeable issues and seeing that these according to the 'net' are spastic chainsaws I dont see this peace a bad thing?

I take no pleasure in handling them and see no point in stressing them any more than needed.
I find bringing them out doesn't actually 'stress' my royals. They just curl up no matter where they are.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I find bringing them out doesn't actually 'stress' my royals. They just curl up no matter where they are.
Snakes don't exactly enjoy being handled, they just tolerate it, the novelty of handling snakes wears off of most people after a while. I do enjoy watching them though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I try to give mine a stretch out of the viv at least once a week, there's been longer and shorter periods of time around that too though.
Typically I try to handle the skittish or defensive ones more often to try to calm them down but my calm ones come out every week or so unless I have a week where I have a lot more spare time.
I have one at the moment who's a little head-shy (needs a bit more handling, still young) but the others are fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Snakes don't exactly enjoy being handled, they just tolerate it, the novelty of handling snakes wears off of most people after a while. I do enjoy watching them though.
I find them fascinating to watch and I won't handle them everyday, as I said, once a week, at least unless I have some more spare time where I can bring them out.

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
You haven't met my lot, try wrestling with an 8 foot heavy snake that wants any which way but the one you want it to go.

Stress isn't really quantifiable but a Royal that curls up...isn't that a stress response in itself as part of a defense mechanism?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts

Not all snakes get stressed by handling. My burm will climb onto me to come out. Why would he do that if he didn't like it? The vast majority of my others are not bothered one way or the other, as far as I can tell.

I have a yellow annie, though, which doesn't like being handled (to be honest, she doesn't seem to like anything!). I've been trying to calm her down by getting used to my hand, but it doesn't seem to help much.

My 2 Tokays get very stressed if I try to handle them, so I try to minimise this (yes - I know they're not snakes.....).

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
I know snakes are not meant to be handled at certain times (within 48 hours of feeding, during shed etc etc) nor are they 'social' animals but I try to bring my royals out at LEAST once per week, so they're comfortable with being picked up and handled.

How often do you handle your snakes?
I'll either handle mine for 5 or 10 minutes to give them a check over or for an hour or so while watching telly, mine all have such nosey and inquisitive natures and will investigate everything when out being handled. I wont handle after they have been fed or when they are in blue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You haven't met my lot, try wrestling with an 8 foot heavy snake that wants any which way but the one you want it to go.

Stress isn't really quantifiable but a Royal that curls up...isn't that a stress response in itself as part of a defense mechanism?
To be fair I wouldn't go in your house, knowing you had an 8 foot'er. I've only really got used to royals in the past year.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Fair point. It is one of their defense mechanisms.. Point taken. :2thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mine all have such nosey and inquisitive natures and will investigate everything when out being handled.
That describes one or two of mine too. : victory:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I check on mine obviously daily, opening their vivs or RUBs when necessary; but I only handle them maybe every two weeks. I get enough enjoyment from simply watching them naturally inspecting their surroundings.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts