Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my garter snake for about half a year now and he is over a year old. i have him on the floor on a heat mat in my room and i fed him a pinky every week. but recently he has become a little more moody when i come to do so.
I have neglected to handle him for a while now (2 months ish) and i am worried that he is becoming agitated and fear that at some point it will be almost impossible for me to handle him. however it is tricky to do so now given his current behaviour... any advise?.

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
handle more regularly, feed him every 4 - 5 days, feed him trout 3 feeds out of 4, supplement his trout with calcium powder, give him UV light for a few hours a day.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I have had my garter snake for about half a year now and he is over a year old. i have him on the floor on a heat mat in my room and i fed him a pinky every week. but recently he has become a little more moody when i come to do so.
I have neglected to handle him for a while now (2 months ish) and i am worried that he is becoming agitated and fear that at some point it will be almost impossible for me to handle him. however it is tricky to do so now given his current behaviour... any advise?.

Hard to handle a garter? arent they tiny?

2 options

• rub your hands over trout and then begin to handle him...should make him better
  • get him out again for just a few minutes every few days and just work up handling him again. Garters are hardy snakes so its not going to overly stress him out

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Hard to handle a garter? arent they tiny?

2 options

• rub your hands over trout and then begin to handle him...should make him better
  • get him out again for just a few minutes every few days and just work up handling him again. Garters are hardy snakes so its not going to overly stress him out
:lol2: .... if you want a garter hanging off your finger definately rub your hands with some trout.

Seriously though, it's best to let garters come to you. They are very inquisitive and if you put your hand close to it and leave it there, after a few attempts, your garter should start getting curious and will select to be handled himself.
Search for threads on handling garters on this forum www.thamnophis.com and you'll pick up a few good tips: victory:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts