Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've decided to get a tarantula and was just wondering about the handling of it?? Just wondering if there is only certain types of tarantula that people would handle or does it just depend on he spider itself??
Another thing I was wondering about was how often do you clean it's viv and change stuff in the tank?? Also if you can't handle your t. how do you move it about?? Like actually getting it out of the viv?? Not gettin a t. until the start of feb so lookin to gather as much info as poss before I decide which type of t. to get..

Cheers
frazer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im new to T's aswell and havnt yet handled my G.Rosea (Chilean Rose) because its not really relevant to handle them unless you really need or want too. Like most care sheets and people will tell you, they dont benefit being handled but it doesnt mean you cant. The species i have are known to be one of the best for handling as there really docile and dont pose a threat if you were to be bitten (Unless u have an alergic reaction to bee stings) unlike the Cobalt Blue which ive read to be quite dangerous and very aggresive lol

As for cleaning if you spot clean after its had its meal you wont have to change the substrate till as long as a year! I found it hard to see any cricket remains but i think mine was eating pretty much everything but you might find a little ball of liquidy remains :lol2:
Good luck for when you get your T :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
A happy spider is one that's left alone.
i concur

handling the spider gives it no benefit whatsoever and increases the chances of being bitten
i know some people do it, but its not something i do or even advocate

just treat them like you would fish and both you and the spider will be much happier :lol2:

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
They need very little by way of cleaning out. All I really do is wipe the inside of the glass now and then with a damp tissue if there is dried poo stuck on it. I also occasionally rinse out water dishes and remove food boluses, which are the little balls of dry stuff left by the T when it has finished eating. There's no need to remove the spider from the tank to do the small amount of maintenance required.
If I have a particularly feisty T, I will drop a cricket tub over it while I do its water etc - I have one who likes to guard her water bowl.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If I have a particularly feisty T, I will drop a cricket tub over it while I do its water etc - I have one who likes to guard her water bowl.
that is such a good idea...
ours all hide if you go near them (except the g rosea, who has decided immobility is the best form of defense) but I'm going to remember it for future reference.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
It is best not to hold them, but if you want to you could as long as you get a docile beginner species. Mine randomly walked on my hand yesterday, so I took a few pictures, first time I ever held one. :lol2: If it wants to come onto you it will but I wouldn't go out of your way to hold it. : victory:

·
Banned
873 Posts
if your looking for a spider to handle,
Decide wether it should be aborial, or terestrial

Then look into the species in the new world catagory.

Such as

Brachypelma

Grammostola

Avicularia

and so on

Once you have found the Spp your after, then look for which one,

such as Avicularia versicolor or Grammostola Spp "North"

Then look into weather it is a good idea to handle them (if it is a must), but on forums, im afraid mate, everyone has there own oppinion on the matter, 50% say yes its fine to handle a small % of that 50% say it does not benafit them, but it does aclimate them to you (Dont ask), while the other 50% say, No dont handle, its bad for them, and a small percentage saying it will kill them (again dont ask)

so my advice to you would be, find the spider you fancy, searching for a list of new world tarantula's, and looking for what you fancy. If your unsure to weather its ok to handle them, ask for that species temperment, if its a calm docile species, fine give it a try, if its a "ima rip you apart" species :lol2: then well be warned, either way, be it on your own shoulders if you get bit, we all make mistakes, but thats what you have to remember, its our mistake our fault ... if we get bit.. as for the bite itself, alot of people belive if allergic to a bee sting, your allergic to these. No, tarantula venom and bee venom is not the same thing.... BUT, you are more suseptible to having a bad reaction from the venom than others

hope this helps : victory:

P.s sorry for typo errors, im in a hurry XD

·
Registered
111 Posts
Should be pointed out that there are species that are calmer and docile than others, but grammies especially are usually calm and docile (sometimes) but as few people will tell you,this isnt always the case. Some grammies can still be nutters and be agressive or otherwise different to the norm. All spiders regardless of species have different temperaments

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Should be pointed out that there are species that are calmer and docile than others, but grammies especially are usually calm and docile (sometimes) but as few people will tell you,this isnt always the case. Some grammies can still be nutters and be agressive or otherwise different to the norm. All spiders regardless of species have different temperaments
Referring to my G.rosea by any chance lmao

·
Registered
658 Posts
i do not handle all of mine but one who i have been getting used to being held for teaching, and only by me. the others can stay in tanks to be shown. he's a B vagans and is very docile, and never flicks either; his brother on the other had is an angry little bunny and i wouldn't want to pick him up, flicks like mad if i try to clean him out.

best way i found was to get him out once a week since he was a 1cm sling, on to a bit of paper and a paint brush, sit still alot over a bed with something to grab him if he ran. eventualy i was comfortable he wasn't going to go for me i started to use my hand after the paper, till i could get him out right off with my hand; and never over a hard surface or from a height incase he falls and dies.

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
There are several good reasons for not handling, I can't think of any good reasons for handling. The brain of a tarantula is so small most of what it does is by instinct, so acclimatising them IMO is fanciful thinking.

URTICATING HAIR (BRISTLES)
In most instances the urticating hairs that tarantula are capable of flicking will not bother you, most species flick these from their abdomens with their back legs and cover their substrate with them to displel predators. However, there are some species with more irritating hairs, mostly the giants eg. L. parahybana (Salmon Pink), A. geniculata (Brazilian White Knee), T. Apophysis (Goliath Pink Toe) and T. blondi (Goliath Bird Eater). Its quite likely these will make you itch just by renewing their substrate, but if you get these hairs in your eyes or throat you're likely to need medical help and possibly surgery. Therefore very close contact isnt recommended. However, its easy to transfer hairs to your eyes from the most docile of species, and there's been a number of cases where this has happened with "safe" species at schools and shows, even with the moult alone!

BITES
Obviously tarantula can bite and whilst the venom on something like a chili rose is little to concern yourself with the fangs are effective weapons and in the case of a T. blondi are like a cat biting on you. This is what we refer to as a mechanical bite and the reaction to this could well be a case of throwing the T to the floor. The more venomous species, generally the Old World species eg. Indian Ornamentals and African Baboons, have a much more potent bite that can invoke pain in the muscles/joints as well as heart palpitations, breathing difficulties with a general flu like feeling for a number of days/weeks/months.

THE TARANTULA
The tarantula isn't a hardy species when it comes to falls, its abdomen is like an egg, a fall from anything more than a foot could rupture the abdomen and kill your T. Some of the arboreal species are prone to jumping. In the wild they might do this to escape predators and are likely to float down from a height and possibly land on leaves or in water.
There's little to suggest the T gains anything from being handled so therefore the experience is purely for the pleasure of the owner. I personally suggest, rather than handling, let your T outside of its enclosure by simply capturing in a cricket box and releasing onto grass, carpet etc. But remember Ts are mostly nocturnal, don't like big open spaces, get freaked by air movements and have a tendency to run or jump without considering the danger that may pose to themselves!

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding and therefore your decision whether to handle or not will be armed with the possible dangers and take sensible precautions.

CLEANING
There's plenty of different views on cleaning. Many people with experience in other exotics prefer to regularly clean and renew substrate. However, Ts excrete very little waste so spot cleaning is all that's necessary - remove bolus, uneaten food, and mould. The substrate will be covered with thin webbing which identifies the enclosure as the tarantula's home. Removing it would be like someone arriving at your house and removing your furnishings, consider it before completely removing. I know some BTS committee members that haven't changed their substrate for well over 5 years with no significant worries, bad smells or hygienic issues.

Ultimately the decisions on both issues will be your own, its therefore worthwhile taking a view of experience and advice and attribute that to your own thoughts.

·
Registered
533 Posts
handling is always going to be a touchy subject but just use your common sense..i only have 12 T's but i only ever handle my B Smithi. she is a gentle giant. She used to flick me but over time she stopped and seems to be ok with me disturbing her and getting her out. - maybe she has a larger brain than others or just uses more of it lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.