Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey People!

I've got some beardie eggs incubating and they have reached 78 days at the minute with the temperture being 82.5 average, actually it fluctuates between 81.7 & 83.5f!

Why are they taking so long!? I've read that they can take upto 90 days in some cases, is it mine just being little arses before they have even hatched?

I was wondering if there were any indicators as to when they are just about to hatch? I shined a light through the eggs, and to my amazement one of the dragons inside the egg moved! :shock: Looked like his tail was thrashing around and he didn't like the light in his eyes! lol Must be a good sign that its not going to be long yeah?

Thanks
- welshgaz

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh man well done.
I think u only get like a day warning when threy sort of collapse dont they?
i reckon you havent got long now.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
A frined of mine had his go over by a moth, if he hadnt had the sense to candle them he might have thought they were duds, but remember they develop according to the temps, so cooler eggs might take longer, if they're still moving, not looking rotten and well incubated you can only hope you get a nice surprise around christmas time, how cool would that be?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
when they are going to hatch they begin to 'pip' looks like they are sweating! they then get dark at one end (sometimes all over).
you will then see a cross appear at one end this is the baby making a hole to get out...it can then take upto 2 days for them to hatch!!!

like gan said until the eggs start to look 'dead' (moldy, rotten, dark brown and dry) they are fine! just have some patience! you are lucky, try 5 months as with my yemens!!!!!! :) 90 days is nothing!! :wink:

just leave the eggs alone...disturbance at this point is not good!! :(

good luck..babies are always so sweet....like mini adults (funnily enough!)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah all the eggs are defo all there and good. Some bigger than others but all look fine!

A few of the eggs seam to be getting thicker in places, like patches of cream where the shell is thicker not sure what that is... but hey I reckon another week and I shoud at least have my first baby! Can't wait

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
welshgaz, I can only echo what BELIAL hes said...
You are incubating slightly cooler, I always used to incubate between 84 and 86f...I have seen beardie eggs pip at 53 days, the "sweating" on the egg surface is a sure sign, some hatch within an hour, some take up to 2 days from pipping...Also depending on how many eggs you have, from the 1st one to hatch, it could take a week for the last egg to hatch...As for your temps. do you have a probe right next to an egg in the vermiculite, I used to use more than one probe for temps, you would be surprised the different readings from different thermometers...T.T. 8)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers TT! Yeah the probe is right in the vercumilate next to a set of eggs.... NTL was 82.2f last night, DTH was 83.5f.

Currently have 15 eggs in there and I realise the lower the temp the longer it takes! but these are my first set of eggs and I'm just impatient :wink:

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
welshgaz, arh the expectant parent syndrome...I know it well :wink: ...
I seem to remember a while back...did I have a visual guess on the sex of your beardies, if so, was I right?!...T.T. 8)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jesus buddy that was a long time ago.. but yeah you were right! They are the pair that have given me these eggs!

There seperated now though... the bugger was a sex maniac before he went into brumation! Got another two females in with her as well now... plenty for a good breeding stock.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
nice one...
If I was you (given the same circumstances-incubating temp. and duration so far) I would now up the temp. very slightly, say 1 or 2f, that may trigger a hatching response? they should have developed just fine, they must be just about ready?...T.T. 8)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've actually just upped the temp very slightly before I read that post! Bizzar! The one egg now has a black circle around 1 cm in diameter on the end of the egg... Th elitle bugger is going nuts inside as well! Cool 8)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
due to hatch pretty soon then...think they can sense when people are looking at them though! mine always hatch when all is quiet..(usually the night!)

it can even take longer for all to hatch than a week. DO NOT give up on eggs that have not hatched....i had one hatch 3 weeks after all the others were done once..

is great when you finally see that head appear!!! :)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well nothing again this morning :? the little dude is strill wriggling though and I'm pretty sure a few of the eggs have gone even bigger over night!

They lay pretty much undisturbed all day anyway. Theres no one in the house between 9-5 and then I have a check before I go to work, one after and one before bed! So its nice and quite - HATCH GOD DAMN YOU!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Talk to them, tell them how you hope they are ok and will hatch soon and cant wait to look after them and feed them lots of yummy crickets and veg.
Tell them that you cant wait cos then yourl know they are all ok and that if they dont hatch then maybe they never will and maybe they arent fertile, explain that fertile means eggs with baby beardies in, and non fertile is eggs for food.
Tell them the last thing you want to do is fry them, explain what frying is, tell them your gona go and get thier special baby beardie vivs ready and that you hope when you come back they will be on thier way to hatching.
Explain christmas is coming and how they dont wana miss it etc.

Tell them how you have been telling your friends over the internet about them and how excited to see them everyone is, cos they are special.

It might work...

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been talking to them! :roll: Think I might try the old come out now or I will fry you.. perhaps with some bacon if your kucky! :lol:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts