Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just had a beardie hatch (Its the first time for me). It was fine at first (It took him a while to right himself). I took it out & put it into a set up. The set up has play sand in which I didn't think would matter. Anyway, it was fine, running around & occasionally falling off stuff. After 30 minutes though he started trying to bury/scratch his head in/on the sand (example: an adult scratching to remove flaking scales). It got a lot of sand in its eyes, so I used a small paint brush to remove it all then put it into a small tub with toilet role in the bottom. For an hour or so it didn't open its eyes & moved in spasms, it is now slowly opening its eyes & moving a little better.

Has anyone got experience in this sort of behavior? My mate is round here (Herptastic) & he has hazarded a guess at lack of calcium?

I hope someone can help!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Firstly - Dont put baby beardies in sand!

Secondly, call an exotic pet vet for some advice and describe what happened. Did it ingest any sand? Have you washed its eyes or used any drops? You may not have gotten all the sand out, which would be very irritating to sensitive eyes and also very distressing for the beardie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts