Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for sub-adult/adult mexican black king and western hognose in time for xmas, but it's looking more likely I'll have to go for hatchlings.

I was thinking two faunariums, kept inside the viv on a ('statted) heatmat, but am a little unsure how to best gauge the temps inside the faunariums, any tips?

I'll put the stat probe directly on the heatmat (on top of the false bottom), and have both boxes positioned about the same.

Also, what size faunarium box? I was thinking the large flat type, paper towel as substrate and half a coconut each end for hides?

And lastly, what size should hatchlings bee before moving them into a 2x18x18?

Thanks (and apologies in advance if the topic has been done to death before, I'm a newbie)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
For hoggies the large flat fauns are pretty massive for hatchlings, hatchling hogs are TINY! I would go for the smaller flat ones, or even a cadbury tub to start with.

Personally I dont put faunariums inside vivs, its hard to get a proper gradient in them. I would just put a small heatmat under one end of the tub. The setup sounds fine other than that (obviously with the addition of a small waterbowl!)

Your hog will be almost fully grown by the time it will have to be upgraded to a 2ft viv most likely. Males only hit 2ft most of the time with even large females rarely getting past 3ft. Its hard to say exactly when they will need to be upgraded, but it will be in excess of 18 months so you dont need to think about any of that yet!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pendle (well, it'd be rude to call you 'hogg' lol).

I was thinking of putting them inside a viv for extra security, but I have a spare mat I could put inside the viv and rest the boxes on that?

It'd also be handy inside the viv because the snakes are presents for my son (honestly!) so if I lock the viv, means they'll only be handled fully supervised!

In the small boxes tho, where would you place the thermometer? Im going to be using digi's for the other vivs, put it through the top near the warm spot and check the gradient at the other end at set up??

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
That makes sense with the vivs, nice idea too! In that case I would just sit the tubs on top of the mat inside the viv.
If youre using digi therms with probes you can just put the probe in the warm end of the tub and keep the bulk of the thermometer outside the tub.

Sounds like you've got it all covered actually 8)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, hope so! Any other hognose tips? I was a little unsure about them for an 8yr old at first (rear fanged and all), but they sound so interesting (and look amazing), and he has some snake experience already and is respectful when handling (and isn't miffed if they're not 'in the mood' lol)

Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
ok

weve just had a young hog nose(oink) not my chioce of name honest.but its more laid back than our corns.as for being rear fangs i would not worry it would really have to chew on you for quite a while to do any damage :lol: .but the other night when he had his fluff it just popped it in the water bowl .blood every where. great to see him eating .puffs a bit first and then whack makes me jump every bleeding time :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, i like the name 'oink' actually, kinda suits!

From pics, the hatchlings look really tiny, did/do u have to half the pinks, or they manage em whole?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know :( gotta get my timing just right on this though, am building the vivs at the mo, and have to get the inhabitants between 21/12 and 27/12!!! So, depending whats available at the time, might end up trekking down the M6!!! Thanks for the link, i'll add it to my list!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts