Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
Still in the research stages at the moment more looking evermore likely that I will soon purchase a corn.
Have been looking at equipment and on Coast - Coast exotics website they have a starter kit containing the following:

Exo-terra Small Faunarium

Habimat 6x11 Heat mat

Habistat Matstat

Water bowl

Hide

T-rex Bio-clean disinfectant

Corn snake book

Coast to Coast Exotics Corn snake Care sheet

Is there any additional equipment that would be usefull in addition to the above ?
Should I not have 2 hides, one at each temp ?
Could I make the Faunarium more attractive by adding bark or branches or should I stick with just the basics ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
but you def should have 2 hides, one in the warm end & one at the cold so the snake can choose where to go :D

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Make sure everythings upgradable when you get it, as when they outgrow the tank you want to be able to use as much as possible in the new viv, all looks ok, maybe the heat mat will need upgrading when you move up

Are you getting the snake from there too?

Ive just noticed they stock wild caught and captive farmed boas and pythons as well as some geckos and dragons:(

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
How much are they looking to charge you for that lot? Rememeber that them calling it a starter kit normally adds on at least a fiver.

If you shop smart then you could save yourself some money especially as they will grow out of it.

Here's a pic of one of mine, the only thing I've changed is the substrate for kitchen towel as it's easier to clean. When they get older I'll go back to it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are asking £65.00 for the lot but I will shop around for sure.
I have just discovered a pet store in my home town ( Swindon ) that I didn't know existed. They stock alot of Reptile equipment inc the faunariums quoted in the starter kit, frozen food etc. Unfortunately they don't stock snakes themselves ( a few lizards and some great little tortoises ) but I will probably get the snake from a breeder anyway. Cornmorph who posts on here maybe !
Anyway thanks for the info at least I know the contents of the starter kit are ok so I can now compare prices and see if I can get cheaper.

One final question for now. The corn will out grow the faunariums, at what age / size will I need to transfer the snake into its full size adult viv ? And finally how many different sized faunariums can I expect to buy untill the corn goes into a 3ft viv for example ?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
bully74uk said:
They are asking £65.00 for the lot but I will shop around for sure.
I have just discovered a pet store in my home town ( Swindon ) that I didn't know existed. They stock alot of Reptile equipment inc the faunariums quoted in the starter kit, frozen food etc. Unfortunately they don't stock snakes themselves ( a few lizards and some great little tortoises ) but I will probably get the snake from a breeder anyway. Cornmorph who posts on here maybe !
Anyway thanks for the info at least I know the contents of the starter kit are ok so I can now compare prices and see if I can get cheaper.

One final question for now. The corn will out grow the faunariums, at what age / size will I need to transfer the snake into its full size adult viv ? And finally how many different sized faunariums can I expect to buy untill the corn goes into a 3ft viv for example ?

Thanks again.
my hatchlings are in a 24inchx15inchx12inch viv(which is bigger than the large terra Faunarium). always started them in this size, just have to make sure the sliding glass is plugged(i use card) to stop really young ones getting through. That cost £59retail but could have got it cheaper if i wasn't so lazy, obviously then you have to add the other bits on(heat mat/mat stat etc) then it matches all my other vivs and when they out grow it ive got another viv to fill :D plus it has the advantage of not having the snake open on all sides with clear sides so they feel more secure :D

Maybe thats just my way of doing it, not preaching or nothing :wink: but i always see these things as temporary housing or quarantine housing

http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products/faunarium_i.html

this is my basic corn hatchling set up(minus some hides, cause i was feeding)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You can always do it cheaper than by getting a 'starter kit'.

You don't have to use a faunarium - for a hatchling corn a lunchbox-type container with some vent holes drilled/melted around the sides would be fine - one about 12"-15" long to start with. Then just use larger containers as it grows, until it's ready for a full size viv after around 18months, give or take a few months.

I wouldn't bother with the tiny heat mats either - if you plan to use a mat in the future for the main viv then get a larger (11x11 or 17x11) one now, that you can use later on.
The plastic container (or faunarium) doesn't have to cover the whole mat - just position it so that one end of the container sits over part of the mat.

For a water bowl just use a ceramic hamster food bowl or even a ramekin dish. Kitchen roll for substrate and cardboard tubes (cut lengthways) as hides.

For a thermostat, this is the cheapest mat stat I know of, does exactly the same job as the habistat one, except it's cheaper:
http://www.camzoo.co.uk/pd-1167048544.htm?categoryId=12

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
small faunarium is quite small! i use a medium at the moment for my snow whos a few months old. And it's, in my opinion getting too big for it. So i'd go for a medium faunarium if you could!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey,

If you buy your whole viv set up now that you would like to keep the snake in as an adult then you could buy a small plastic (12 - 15 ") container then place that into the large viv which has the right size heat pad for that viv. Then position the small plastic container half onto the heat pad.

This way you get to get everything in on shot and not wasting time by getting 3 - 4 different viv's.

Here is a picture of my set up at the moment. It has my young corn in a small plastic container about 13" long and about 6 - 7" wide, my semi adult corn shares the large viv. I wouldn’t recommend putting another snake in the viv though as it may cause stress (just temporary until I move). Both snakes are feeding very well so I know they are ok. :)

For hides I use the cardboard roles left over from a toilet role, I cut them in half and they make great hides :D That’s for the younger corns.

Wait for the snake to get as thick as your pinkie before you put her/him into the larger viv.

Have fun selecting your corn, there are tons of morphs. :D

Sorry if i repeated somethings of other peoples advice ( Didnt read all of the topic)

Matt.

·
Registered
475 Posts
When I got my hatchling corn 6 months ago I used a large flat faunarium. She has a bark hide at each end, one in warm and one in cool (I would say this is a necessity as reptiles will choose security over warmth/coolness so she could get too hot or too cool if only one hide is provided) and I put a piece of grapevine in there with her. She loves her grapevine and I often have to feed her on there. She thinks she's a tree snake :lol: I use Cascade reptile cleaner which is probably same sort of stuff to the T-Rex stuff. 6 x 11 heat mat is perfect for a large flat faunarium. Using a large flat faunarium, your snake could live in here until a year old approx and then put in 3 ft viv. You really have to judge on the size of your snake. My 3 month old is nearly as big as my 7 month old as he even feeds when in a shed so is a greedy piggy :lol: Each snake is an individual and they all grow at different rates. My 7 month old is nearly 2.5 ft long at the mo and she's still in a large flat faunarium.

Gu desserts from supermarkets are in ramekins. I keep them and use them for snake water bowls. They're round so the snakes can curl up in them if they want. And yeah start the hatchling on paper towel.

Good luck shopping around. You cna usually pick up a large flat faunarium for between £10 & £20. Try ebay for one. If you get a very young hatchling, waxworm tubs are brilliant for hides. I used those for my newest hatchling. If he was feeling brave he used to curl up on topof it :)

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Even though i haven't had my corns that long i'd have to say i think i did ok when preparing for them. Although i would have done what flake1 did if i had thought of it. Keeping a hatchling in one of those faunariums are bloody annoying! the main reason being temperature! The temperature of the faunariums seem to constantly change along with my room temp! I think i've only JUST got it to keep at a regularish temperature for my snakes. With luck i'll have both corns housed in a two stack viv by the end of the month.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Trice, not being funny but did you use a theromstat? :oops: I do with mine and I've never had any problems.

Oh and bully74uk, don't forget thermometers! One for each end just for your own piece of mind to ensure your stat is working correctly. Stat probe I find is better placed in cool end of viv. :)

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Yeah, i did. At first i didn't use the probe :oops: But soon got it all sorted. Hopefully the temperature keeps nice and easy for the snakes.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
corn starter kit

One glaring omission I can see is thermometers. How do you know the temp is correct if you cant see it? The dial on stats is never accurate and should be adjusted so it reads right by your thermometer.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Re: corn starter kit

sue said:
One glaring omission I can see is thermometers. How do you know the temp is correct if you cant see it? The dial on stats is never accurate and should be adjusted so it reads right by your thermometer.
Oh yeah! seeing as sue brought up the thermometer thing. Don't get the dial ones. Fork out a bit more to get a temperature one. I got the exoterra dial thermometer and it was throwing me all about the place. Got a digital and i keep checking up on it now. Much better.

Kerry1, I think my main problem was/is that my room has the boiler, and the unit in there. So my room is in fact the hottest room in the house. Anyone turns the boiler off though and my room temp drops like theres no tomorrow. With some luck in less than 2 weeks the boiler will be gone and i'll be able to get even more of a grip on temperatures for them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Trice, that'll be better. At least your room temp should stabilise.

I use the strip thermometers rather than the dials as yeah they aren't accurate at all! :?

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
OH i got a question seeing as we're on the subject of corn snake housing.
sorry bully74uk, but i think it might help you too! :p

The viv i'm building, how best would it be to heat it? The viv will be a 2 stack viv. Both for my corns. Anyway, would it be best to get two thermostats and two heat mats? or could i get one thermostat, heat strips of a sort (or something like that?) and work at it that way?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for all your replies.

Will take all into account when shopping round.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts