Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm so worried about my baby cornsnakes. Out of 12 i can only get 2 to feed which seems terrible odds as what i've read suggests there's usually one or two that are a problem.
My temperatures are right, they've got hides etc. I've tried whole pinkies, cut up pinkies and a few other things that i've found on caresheets but nothing is working. They're over a month old now and i'm considering force feeding - something i said i'd never do.
Has anyone else had a problem with so many hatchlings not feeding? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Most Appreciated x

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Seems to run in families i`m afraid. I have had clutches that have all fed fairly quickly and others batches where there have only been a couple.

Have had to resort to live or force feeding mouse tail pieces to keep some going. If you can get something down them most will get the idea sooner or later.

Took some for a bumpy ride and fed them straight after. The stimulation worked for two of them!

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
i still have a clutch here hatched in may that all were non feeders... 4 have had 4 feeds now, another started last night, the other 4 that havent i offer overnight then if dont take i use strips of beef heart for assist/force feeding as it is a lot easier to get down than pinkies :) they get the idea eventually x

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Only a month old and you're asking about force feeding :censor:
Try other things and ONLY consider force feeding as a last resort.
Have you tried:
Defrosting pinks in water ( warm water / cold water )
Defrosting pinks in air.
Cuting the nose of a washed defrosted pinky to expose a tiny bit of blood.
A brained washed defrosted pinky.
Scenting the pinky with oily fish, rodent urine, pawn juice etc.
There must be loads of "Tips" for none feeding corns on the forum and net in general.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Have you tried:
Defrosting pinks in air.
There must be loads of "Tips" for none feeding corns on the forum and net in general.
This! ^^

Force feeding SHOULD be a last resort, id even try live before force feeding, As it is really stressful on the snake to be forced fed.

Try things the methods mentioned, also try putting them in smaller tubs.

What are the temps exactly? and the setups?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
This! ^^

Force feeding SHOULD be a last resort, id even try live before force feeding, As it is really stressful on the snake to be forced fed.

Try things the methods mentioned, also try putting them in smaller tubs.

What are the temps exactly? and the setups?

ive never tried live i had force fed and i hated it

its not that i couldnt feed live but anyway my last nonfeeder started eating and has now eaten twice he/she is one of my keepers.
and although stresing as it is it does get some corn snakes eating again.

anyway i recomend not to try force feeding untill a couple of months of trying other methods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried:
Defrosting pinks in air.
Thanks for the advice. After perusing the net and reading most any info i can find it seemed that the longer they went without feeding the less likely it was that they would so i was of course very concerned. I would only ever force feed as a last resort and did state that i had never even intended doing so. However from the replies i've received it seems clear that i shouldn't fret so early on and i will continue with non-invasive techiques.

Thanks all

Erica

1 - 7 of 7 Posts