Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new Incubator and I would like to hatch different types of Poultry eggs, with the Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Turkeys with them going over to my Mother In Laws when they get big to roam her small holding free as birds.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice or even some hatchling eggs that I could have cheep cheep please? I live in South somerset and my Incubator hold 24 hens eggs.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Cool I'll give that a try, but I would be dead worried the eggs would get damaged in the post. lol
They do. Make sure you get them posted Special signed for so they don't get brought in the postmans Bag, they get brought in the van instead.

Also, if like me you get sh*t load of parcels, have a word with your postie. Mine is total fab! Adores my dogs, his nephews went to school a few years below me. So when he brings my eggs, he puts them in a plastic tub, with the boxes surrounded with bubble wrap, on the front seat with a belt around lol Like I said, moment I mentioned they were hatching eggs and how post can damage the fertility, he has been a star.

When you get them, open the package and rest the eggs pointy end down for 24 hours before setting in your incubator.
Incubator. Make sure you have it running a few days before you get your eggs. Last thing you want is to get your eggs, set up your bator and find it isn't working.

Make sure you have a brooder ready for your chicks when hatched in 21 days. All to often, people get over excited at the thought of the eggs hatching that they forget that when they do hatch they need to be kept on heat for a number of weeks. Certainly in the current weather, for longer than normal.
Any brooder should not have 90 degree corners. All corners should be edged off to prevent chicks getting squashed.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
They do. Make sure you get them posted Special signed for so they don't get brought in the postmans Bag, they get brought in the van instead.

Also, if like me you get sh*t load of parcels, have a word with your postie. Mine is total fab! Adores my dogs, his nephews went to school a few years below me. So when he brings my eggs, he puts them in a plastic tub, with the boxes surrounded with bubble wrap, on the front seat with a belt around lol Like I said, moment I mentioned they were hatching eggs and how post can damage the fertility, he has been a star.

When you get them, open the package and rest the eggs pointy end down for 24 hours before setting in your incubator.
Incubator. Make sure you have it running a few days before you get your eggs. Last thing you want is to get your eggs, set up your bator and find it isn't working.

Make sure you have a brooder ready for your chicks when hatched in 21 days. All to often, people get over excited at the thought of the eggs hatching that they forget that when they do hatch they need to be kept on heat for a number of weeks. Certainly in the current weather, for longer than normal.
Any brooder should not have 90 degree corners. All corners should be edged off to prevent chicks getting squashed.
Good info there hun thanks.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Also just a quickie ... you will have a mix of hens and cocks in the brood and cockrals will grow up and be VERY loud and also VERY intolerable of other cock birds leading to fighting. Rescue centres are pretty over run with these cockrels because people want to incubate and rear cute little chicks but dont want to 'control' the cock birds which are/ should be killed and served with roast potatoes : victory:

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Also just a quickie ... you will have a mix of hens and cocks in the brood and cockrals will grow up and be VERY loud and also VERY intolerable of other cock birds leading to fighting. Rescue centres are pretty over run with these cockrels because people want to incubate and rear cute little chicks but dont want to 'control' the cock birds which are/ should be killed and served with roast potatoes : victory:
Thats what we used to do eventhough i did live in the middle of nowhere

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Thanks.

Non of this is an issue though , I have bred chickens on and off for many years, now hubby wants to 'play' we have a small holding that they are all very welcome at once they are 'off heat' and I have no qualms about eating spare cockerels

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
i`ve had ebay eggs and done very well with them, you can always find out who`s `nearest first` and collect them to save them from the postie!

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice. As for the Cocks, what Stuffing would you reccomend? Our Birds when they hatch will go over the mother in Laws small holding and we often eat what is grown there like sheep and pigs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts