Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow-up thread from my previous one explaining how I got the turtle and to identify it, I am pretty certain it is a Florida Cooter.
He refuses to eat mealworms or turtle sticks. The problem is not due to the temperatures though, as the basking temps are 91-94f and water temp is at 80f. So if anyone got some tips and tricks to make a hatchling eat hit me up because I have no idea.

*I have tried to feed him in and out of water from his tank to a separate one*

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My panacea for lack of appetite is BSP vitamin drops. Drip into an open mouth or dip the turtle into a solution of BSP in a small water pot for an hour a day.
The first sign of vitamin A deficiency is always lack of appetite (not saying this is the case, but it should be ruled out). This is common in young turtles.

Another failure to feed issue is water quality, particularly acidity. Ensure a neutral PH. (part of my 'kit' is an electronic PH meter - £15 or so from Amazon). Adding calcium or a proprietary PH adjuster to the water is an easy fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did try to feed him live mealworms since I also have a leopard gecko, I'll look into the duckweed and I tried to feed him in and out of tank.

I'll look into the vitamin A deficiency but the water quality is at a 7.3 which is great, I use declorinated water rather than sink.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.