Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
i personally like getting hatchlings for the reason of watching the colours change. They are skittish but i dont mind. i suppose its a personal thing. some people dont like the flightyness of them

plus the fact you get another year with them.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
either, but i would myself go for a hatchling

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd prefer a grown on, less chance of well... death.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I went for hatchling just to get used to handling snakes while they're still small and to see them develop. Not regretted it so far, and not tempted to skip ahead and get a grown on either!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
i went for a hatchling as my first snake and ended up with 5 (so hard to choose), i havent had any problems apart from 1 is a slow feeder

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'd go with the hatchling every time.

You get to watch it grow and also get used to handling and the snake being snappy whilst still small.

You can learn when your snake is gonna bite you and when he isn't whilst its small and can't hurt you much.

Also..... is a year and a few months classed as grown on?? Or a yearling??? I have no idea.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Yeah id go for hatchling aswell :lol:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
hatchling is deffo a best 1st snake, me an mine bonded strait now he only trusts me an if a mate is holdin him, trys to come to me...lol

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Personally I like hatchlings for "first snakes" as you experience so much more with them..
It depends what you call a "hatchling" though... at about 4 months old i stop thinking of them as diddy hatchlings, these are best as theyre not too likely to die on you, but you still get to see them develop.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
I've never had a snkae but i would have though hatchling as it will tame and grow to you, and from what iv heard its interesting to watch teh colour change.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
With corns, kings, etc, I'd say go for a hatchling but make sure it's had a few feeds before you get it and don't just put it straight into a full size viv. Keep it in a tub/faunarium for the first year or so until it's grown a bit.

With a royals, it may be better to get one that's a few months old (at least) and is already an established feeder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts