Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has kept hatchlings in (full adult sized) large vivariums?

It seems to be generally accepted that hatchlings need to be kept in small spaces to feel secure or they won't feed....

However, if lots hiding places and cover are provided (allowing the snake to at least get from one side of the viv to the other without being seen in the open) could the snake still be made to feel secure while still having lots of space to explore?

I can see the benefits of keeping hatchlings in smaller vivs/RUB's from a cleaning up point of view (and of course it will be easier to find them!). But might having more space and a greater variety of hiding places be more enriching for the snake as it grows and develops?

I would like to know peoples thoughts on it :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It seems to be generally accepted that hatchlings need to be kept in small spaces to feel secure or they won't feed....
*cough*by royal keepers*cough* :p

Most of mine have went into vivs straight away, some their final adult vivs, some in vivs that I had at the time, but still large. All have been fine, snakes aren't 'afraid' of large spaces, its open ones. The world was pretty massive last time I checked. Give them more than the bare minimum of one hide and a water bowl, and they'll be fine. :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
hatchling carpet...2 foot viv (i was surprised how small they are when i went to go meet the breeder, just always assumed them to be...more :lol2:) 9 month's old...adult viv 4x3x2 *LxHxD*

Corn 2 ft viv brought as a yearling, less than a year on is in a 4x2 *LxD*.

I would have had no issue with putting either of these straight into end viv's to play hide and seek from the start. Plenty of cover, hide's and the lark does the trick a fair amount of the time...But there will always be exceptions of course.

Alot of it is down to personal choice *shrugs*

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
As long as the hatchling has loads of cover and places to hide, a big viv - as big as the whole outdoors, if you like! - is grand. What they *don't* like is being stuck in huge open spaces where anything (in their tiny little hard-wired snakie minds) could see, pounce/swoop on, and eat them!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I agree with Kimora, I've never actually tried it myself but I reckon my Caramel and definitely my burm could go into an adult sized viv right now with no problems, they're both confident snakes and strong feeders.

·
Full Time Mother of Fourteen.
5,577 Posts
I have a CB12 common boa, he went straight into a 3ft viv when i got him, and he was tiny, he's recently been upgraded to a 4ft viv whilst I convert an old cupboard into a lovely viv for him, he's doing completely fine.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
All mine were in adult vivs by 6 months old. Just put my 6 month old carpet into a 3x4. Surprisingly, it hasn't dropped dead, stopped eating, or escaped :gasp: who would've thunk it?!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I put a hatchling burm (well 2 actually, yeah that's right two snakes sharing a viv... sue me) in a 6ft viv and one of them loved it, the other, well....didn't.

I think a lot of it is down to the individual snake, try it and see. Worst case scenario you might have to section part of the viv off for a while, no biggie.: victory:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I put a 6 month old Dumerils Boa in a 2ft x2ft x 2ft with plenty of cover, she eats and handles well :)

I've got her future 6x2x2 that I'm doing up at the moment with live plants and bioactive substrate, as soon as its finished in a few weeks time I'm hoping to move her into it.

I also have a young Nitida morph cali king in a 3x2x2 and again no problems.

From what I have seen the old 'better for snakes to be in small set ups' is used by the stamp collecting mentality royal morph crowd to justify tiny rub stacks. I bet there's probably the odd snake that wont feed when put in a large set up, but I would bet that was due to not putting enough in the viv in the first place.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I would say its all down to the species.

I breed trans-pecos ratsnakes.
If you put hatchlings in to large a space they will not feed. Even moving them up a container size to soon can stop them feeding. Move them back to the original container where they are so cramped they are pushing the lid off, and away we go again!

Now put a royal in the spare bedroom with a hide and heat mat in one corner ant it will be happy!

So its horses for courses as they say............

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I think it is easier to make a snake feel secure in a smaller enclosure, but that isn't to say that an adult viv can't work.

My preference is to start a bit smaller with the babies, but I have in the past put a hatchling in a 3ft viv and he was fine. As long as your snake has the cover he needs do whichever you prefer.

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
All this
"snakes like to feel secure"
has been blown way out of proportion! Of course this may be true but there is absolutley no need to cram them in teeny tiny RUBS.
All the hatchlings i had were plonked into vivariums or large RUBS with loads of plants and hides cramming the space so they felt secure and had the choice of moving around. This worked fine for most my snakes except the trinkets, they are taking a while to get into larger RUBS/vivs.
Pop the hatchling into a viv, as long as he can't escape and there is plenty of decor to make him feel secure i'm sure it'll be fine :2thumb:
snakes are individuals though, if he does stop feeding then experiment with smaller enclosures : victory:

Reactions: SnakeVenom

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
The main reason my snakes never went straight into adult sized vivs when I got them is I was worried about them escaping with them being such small babies, mine have all been housed in big rubs with loads of decor, hides etc etc and upgrading the size of rub as needed, now they're all growing well (2 yrs old) they'll soon get their adult homes, though I can only buy one viv at a time.

Plus I'd rather get the correct sized viv in the first place instead of buying a 3 foot viv only to be needing a 4 foot viv if the snake out grows it.

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
The main reason my snakes never went straight into adult sized vivs when I got them is I was worried about them escaping with them being such small babies, mine have all been housed in big rubs with loads of decor, hides etc etc and upgrading the size of rub as needed, now they're all growing well (2 yrs old) they'll soon get their adult homes, though I can only buy one viv at a time.

Plus I'd rather get the correct sized viv in the first place instead of buying a 3 foot viv only to be needing a 4 foot viv if the snake out grows it.
When i got my corn snake after years of not owning any snakes, that is exactly why i was advised to keep it in a small tub first. Not because it would freak out, stop eating and die but simply because it would easily squeeze out of small gaps in the vivarium. It makes sense to be honest.

Reactions: AilsaM
1 - 20 of 28 Posts