Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, got my son a corsnake for xmas from viper and vine in prestwich manchester, everything sems fine upto now, just have a few simple questions if any1 can help. Firstly how often is it ok to handle the snake, so as to not keep annoying/upsetting it( we have had it since the 19th december). it is tame, hasnt tried to strike at either me my or my son, and has has 2 feeds(it was ready to shed when bought, then shed a week later) and he has taken food fine, just wondering how often it is advisable to clean out the vivarium though,and also do i clean/disinfect the log and stone in its tank? and do the shavings which we use as its substrate every time the viv is cleaned? i did get a handbook which was helpfull, just a couple of questions i am unsure about, even though they seem quite amatuer, we all start somewhere hehe. thanks Rhys and son Jack.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
You can handle corns quite often. Just not for a couple days after feeding. If the snake is ok with you handling it I don't think you'll have very many problems finding a time.
What do you mean by shavings? If you are using a saw dust material I'd say switch to newspaper or something - unless you use a specific reptile sub.
If you have dry bark pieces for your animal to hide under you might want to put it in the oven when you are cleaning. This helps kill bacteria. You should clean your viv weekly, whenever you see any faeces.
Anything else you want to ask?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
for qa start if its wood shavings please please take them out!!! i find these cause mites.i take otu the dirty bits when my snakes do it and then give all the vivs a thougha cleaning about evry 2 months with disinfectant works fine.
handle him as much as you like apart from when he has just eaten as it can upset him and cause him to regurgitate his food.leave him maybe 2 days after youve fed him before you take him out again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thats great, they are wood chippings, that viper and vine reccommended, they came with the viv. the info about the bark was great ty, but Rob you say a week, and Klair you say every 2 months? hehe but the other info was brilliant thanks :)

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Hi as with all new snakes it is best always to leave for first 5-7 days to settle in, after this it is ok to handle the snake for a few minutes every 2-3 days, until it has started to get used to you, you can then increase the time to 5 mins, then 10 mins, etc etc,

But once feeding has taken place do not handle for 2-3 days as this can cause the snake to regurge,

As for substrate, different people have different views on substrate,
some say use wood chip, others say paper,

My personal opinion is it depends on the size of the snake, for hatchlings and snakes up to about 1 year old i would recommend to use newspaper/tissue, which is easy to clean as all you do is take out, wipe and put new paper in, this also reduces the risk of impaction(snake eating substrate) to zero, I personally keep all my snakes on newspaper

When using wood chip all you need to do is spot clean(scoop out poo) with a rodent poop a scoop, And give a total (clean every thing out) clean every 2-3 months,

As with the furnishings, these only need to be cleaned if soiled, if they are just brush off the dirt into a bin, then wash with warm water, do not use chemicals unles they are bought from a pet/reptile shop and are reptile safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx tigger, that info has been most helpfull. the disindectant is cascade cleaning dis, for reptiles. cheers for all your help.[/img]

·
Registered
380 Posts
every couple of months clean and disinfect the whole set-up and chuck the substrate.
i found the best disinfectant to be either bleech diluted with water or betazone disinfectant.
remember to provide fresh water as often as possible (i use evian but only because i can nick it from work lol) i used to let the kettle boil and cool for the snakes drinking water but most people just use straight tap water.
anything else we can help with just let us know

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
rhys said:
oh........... please ignore my poor spelling, been a heavy xmas hehehe :D
lol, well at least u have an excuse :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
excellent advice all, been most helpfull, it hasnt defacted yet(brought home on 19th dec) but has had 2 feeds, is this normal? i have read about bathing some snakes, but i am hesitant to do this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts