Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, new member here. im getting 2 elegant gecko in two weeks, these are going to be my first reptiles, and im not quite sure on what to buy. i've made a list of everything i think i need. but im still not sure. i've consulted numerous care sheets but some are pretty sketchy and others seem to contradict others.

here a list of everything i think i need:

Vivarium (obviously)
Heat Mat
Substrate
Humidity Gauge
Two thermometers (one one for the warm side and one for the cool side)
Crickets
Calcium powder (for dusting crickets with)

right what is missing? do these geckos require nightlights as they are nocturnal? (black lights)

thanks, any help would be...eer...helpful.

sorry to sound like such a n00b.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Elegant gecko as in Stenodactylus species?

This care sheet is probably the best out there: http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/caresheets/dwarfsandgecko.html

Sand is the best substrate for them and I personally think ceramic or bulb heating is better for them than heat mats because they like their sand deep (around 3 inches). With a heat mat under the sand this can cause the heat to build up. Also they like to burrow under the sand, and in the wild the point of that is to escape from the high daytime temps.

You'll need some hides, cork bark works well because it won't crush them when they burrow under it but rocks and heavier wood properly secured works well too.

It is uncertain whether these need UVB lighting or not, but I have seen both my females out early in the morning catching some of the rays so I would supply them with a strip light as well.

As for night ligthing, if you want to watch them at night when they are active use a red lightbulb so you can watch them.

With the calcuim, mine take it straight from a dish that is always in their viv so they can regulate their own calcium.

Good luck with the new little geckos :D

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it is the Stenodactylus sthenodactylus. what is UVB (Ultra Violet Black?)

how does ceramic heating work? and wont the gecko fry them selves under the bulbs? i thought they needed a warm side and a cool side, if i used a bulb would still be able the provide this?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
UVB is Ultraviolet-B radiation, just another part of the UV spectrum. You supply it in strip lights.

The geckos won't fry themselves under the bulb, the bulb will need a thermostat to control the temperature to stop it getting too hot but you'd need one of those for a mat as well. A heat gradient is provided by putting the bulb at one end of the vivarium and the temperature declines with distance from the bulb. In fact I find that bulbs create a better gradient than heat mats.

Ceramics are just another form of heating. They release heat by no light so can be used for night time heating as well (the geckos will only need night heating in colder weather though, they prefer their nights to be fairly cool) so right now mine don't have any night heating.

Just another note in case you aren't aware of this these geckos can't be handled like some other species because they have delicate skin. :wink:

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah im not that bothered about handling them. do thermostats, have their own sensors on them or do i have to buy that seperate?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Yeah thermostats come with sensors. Dimmer or pulse proportional are probably the best to chose from.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Yeah, that's too small for two my first two were in the same area when I got them and it wasn't enough for them. It would be fine for just one gecko though, for two you'd be better going for a minimum of 16x12.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
It would work, but dimmers/pluse stats would work a lot better because rather than turning the ceramic on and off they change the power going to the bulb so heat stays more constant. Ceramic heating shouldnt be a problem either.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanx, £35 for a pulse proportional is pretty expensive. oh well. im gonna buy it anyway. what do you think of bibrons gecko? are they easy to handlle? nice and easy to keep? as im only getting one now i thought it would be better to get a slightly better one to handle.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so no go with the bibrons, any other types of gecko that like being handled? i know about leopard geckos and that they are pleased to be handled, but where im planning on buying from doesnt sell them. if anyone knows of any on-line shops where i can buy one please tell me, i think they are beautiful little geckos but i cant find anywhere that stocks them.

antony: thanks for the link im gonna buy that thermostat now, cheaper and better, according to you. cheers.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
You should be able to find someone with Leopard geckos, check the classifieds for sellers in your area or put up wanted ad :wink:

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well yeah, ive wanted one for years.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
thought you said you werent bothered about handling?

anthony the gent has a 16"x8"

you could go for a single leo thats just about big enough.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
DEANandTRESE I wouldn't have thought that would be big enough for a single leo I thought a single leo needed at least two foot? My sand geckos first tank had just a bit more area than that and I can't see a leo being happy in that space.

King Of Dreams - just a suggestion but you might want to take a look at the different geckos available, read up on some care sheets etc. Different geckos need different requirements and for many, you'll probably have to consider investing in a larger viv.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts