Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.... went and got the viv. today. It's fantastic, absoloute bargian for £50.

Victor managed to trap his hand as we lugged it upstairs to the boys' bedroom, so now he's got something else to moan about.

The Viv has wires coming out of it everywhere :help:

How bloody thoughtless of my Dad to go and die last summer - he was an electrician and would have had it sorted in seconds.

Have plugged everything in, some works, some doesn't.

Not really sure what everything is for :oops:

Bulb in cage - top, back, right hand corner - presume this is my heater???? Will need to replace bulb as it doesn't work.

Long narrow florescent tube thing along the back - doesn't work. Is this my UV?????? Will need to replace bulb or at least check starter motor on control (see... I know what one of those is)

2 x seperate clear bulbs which work together - are these for basking????

Habistat - connected to a sensor and temp guage at back of the viv.
I presume this is how I control the heat in the viv - have read up bout day time temp and night time temps - gonna spend the next couple of weeks before beardies arrive to make sure I can get it right.

Well enough questions for now.... no doub't there will be a fair few more over the next few months.

OMG - I was starting to think that I might have gained a reasonably good basic knowlege of beardies. Realizing I've got alot to learn over the next few months.

All advise (& any constructive critisism) gratefully recieved.

Janine.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
bulb at top in corner is probably for night time heating, this will need to be a night time bulb, the two bulbs working together are probably basking spots, you only need one unless you have more then one bd, the tube is your UV I would change this for a new one even if it works as the UV "runs out" even when the light still works.
You can read up as much as possible and its to be encouraged but you will probably learn more from experience when you've got the bd.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Mark.

Was wondering about night time heating.

Are the 2 basking lights solely responsible for the daytime temp in the basking area of the viv?

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
personally we dont bother with night time heating for the BD's here. but i guess it depends on your house

any chance of some pics ? so we can better understand it...

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I dont use night time heating either, we have a warm house with central heating so dont need to :D , I was just suggesting what all those fittings could be for.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
basking area should be hotter than air temp, lights need to turned off at night so bd's can sleep.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Can you describe the bulb in the cage, does it look like its made of a ceramic material. Have you checked the switch at the side of the starter. are the two bulbs connected straigh to the mains.

Does the sensor say night eye?

Also I seem to remember that the viv isnt very old do you know where it was purchased from?

Pics would help but we will get you sorted.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for all the replies.

Sorry can't put photos on as lost all software in a recent crash!!! The bloke who normally pops round and fixes my comp. when I've done something silly, has just become a dad and so is a bit busy at the mo.

Will try and scan in some sketches later this evening when the kids have gone to bed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts