Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just wanted to share an experience I had today while changing my boa's water bowl. He was sat up on his climbing tree thing watching me and as I picked the bowl up he started opening his mouth and hissing at me.

At first I was confused and though something may be wrong so checked the temps and looked at him without touching him to see if he had any obvious injuries but I saw nothing. I was in awe for like 2 minutes of him just hissing at me, part of my brain was telling me to leave him alone asap because he's clearly annoyed but most of my brain was captivated by it.

Of course I've seen big snakes hiss on TV but it was really different in real life, even though he's only about 2ft long it was still one of the coolest experiences with snakes I've ever had.

I've been keeping snakes nearly 6 years now and this is the first sign of real aggresion I've seen so perhaps I've just been lucky, I've been bit a few times due to accidently spooking a snake or being mistaken for food but had never seen one hiss.

Just thought I'd share my little tail and ask for other people's opinions on a hissy snake? Do they scare you or are you like me?

Finally I'd just like to add I've had him out since and he's back to being docile as ever, maybe he just had a bad dream =D

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Hehe you should come meet my female, she's extra vocal every day.
She doesn't scare me cos I know she'd rather try run off than bite me, she rarely actually follows though with the threats, I've learned her bark is worse than the bite.
She does usually stop as well when you get her out.

Could he be going into shed, boas can be extra grumpy when in shed.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
the only snakes i have heard "hiss" are pine snakes, now they are bloody vocal!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm still waiting for mine to show any aggression. I've been bitten once by one of mine, my burm who missed her food and got me instead, and once by my sister's boa, who is such a horrible little snake. :devil:

·
Registered
7,644 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
All of my snakes hiss at me, all the time! They never hiss at the Mrs or anyone else for that matter.... I must have smelly fingers:?

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
I've had 1 hiss from my crawl cay while doing some spot cleaning, guess she was having an off day lol and my hoggie hisses for Scotland :lol2:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think Burms are just vocal, I don't think it's aggression etc, just them being them lol
Yeah that's exactly what I was saying :p.mhe likes to have a little mood swing with his hissing but as soon as I've got him he stops hissing and starts acting like the baby he is!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts