Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not a big fan of heat lambs for cresties personally. normally use mats. though very rarely do mine need them as i live in a brand new flat.

HOWEVER. i'm gonna be moving back home for a month or so over the christmas period so am gonna need some extra heat as the room they'll be in isn't too warm overnight. so with cresties being nocturnal and allll. whats the best heat lambs to get for them that are suitable for exo terras? and which wattage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
i just use a red bulb about 60watt is fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
yes the lesser known heat lamb, not a great viv mate for a crestie though! the fur and constant bleating makes em cranky!!


on a serious note tho, i'm in the same boat as you exactly, i live in a brand new flat 60% of the year, and an old cold house the other 40%!! In the flat i use heatmats, just a small one attached to the bottom corner of the viv (outside obvs.), on a stat. that way they always have a nice temp gradient. My mossies esp seem to love the mat, always sleeping right near it.
I just bring the mats with me to my parents, but turn the stats up a little so theyre a bit warmer. i also have arcadia D3 compact bulbs over them which gives out a teeny bit of heat but not much.

if you then find temps are dropping too much overnight just stick the heatmat on when the lamp is off
Personally if i were going to use bulbs i'd forget about the whole moonbulb rubbish, and get a cheap 50W bulb from B&Qs and try it on for 10hrs a day over the viv (not inside obvs) and measure the min and max temps it reaches. Because cresties suffer far more from too much heat than too little, i'd start out with the smallest wattage, and then increase slowly til you get it right. i.e. try 25W, then if its not enough go for 50, then 75 etc. i wouldnt have thought you'd need more than 50 though
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top