Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I thought I would share these two videos I posted last week. I am slowly attempting to improve the care for the animals I keep. I have more animals than I can afford to care for optimally and my goal is to change that! In the first video I add proper lighting and heat to my JCP enclosure and the second video I add plants.

Adding Light/Heat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYBPrtIjdwA

Adding Plants: https://youtu.be/TTG08Y9rBuU

If you take the time to watch, thank you!

Dillon

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Interesting videos, and highlights issues faced due to limitations with enclosures found either side of the pond. The ExoTera glass enclosures seem to be more common over in US and Canada, where here in the UK it more common to have melamine faced wood enclosures, where equipment is fitted inside them rather than sticking everything on top of wire screens.

The problem I can see is that as heat rises and the top of the enclosure is effectively open due to the screen, a lot of the heat will be released into the room, rather than retaining it in the enclosure. If it were me I would have made a box frame that was high enough to house the lamps and holders, and then place the mesh on the bottom, and some plywood on the top, so you have sort of extended the height - the attached probably gives a better example of my suggestions.

Be interesting to see how well the plants fair when the snake is a mature adult....

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting videos, and highlights issues faced due to limitations with enclosures found either side of the pond. The ExoTera glass enclosures seem to be more common over in US and Canada, where here in the UK it more common to have melamine faced wood enclosures, where equipment is fitted inside them rather than sticking everything on top of wire screens.

The problem I can see is that as heat rises and the top of the enclosure is effectively open due to the screen, a lot of the heat will be released into the room, rather than retaining it in the enclosure. If it were me I would have made a box frame that was high enough to house the lamps and holders, and then place the mesh on the bottom, and some plywood on the top, so you have sort of extended the height - the attached probably gives a better example of my suggestions.

Be interesting to see how well the plants fair when the snake is a mature adult....
Yes, there is certainly quite a large difference between North American care and European care. Something I have explored quite a lot on the podcast. You may find the latest episode featuring John Courteney Smith of interest: https://youtu.be/QATEaZpBYmw

So far it is retaining heat well... however, I really like your idea! I'll have to keep that in mind, as it wouldn't be a difficult thing to implement. The real test for temperatures come in the winter, so I'll have to wait until then to see if I have heat-loss issues.

I'm hoping he plays nice with the plants for now. As he grows it will probably become a problem. Which now that I think of it... that is a good argument for moving to larger enclosures. A larger enclosure would mean larger, more sturdy trees/plants. It would be cool to eventually have an enclosure larger enough to house some substantial plants that could handle a bit of a beating! Something I'll have to toy with in the future as he outgrows his current set up.

Thanks for watching!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts