Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the mo Fluffy is in his tub in the viv, after reading another thread on here today they are indications that a move to the "big house" 24x15x15 viv maybe on the cards.

So far the heat mat is secured to the botton of the viv with duct/gaffer tape but seen lots of NO to gaffer tap so would adhesive backed velcro be ok to use ?

P.S. his light is already caged :)

P.P.S Sorry for all the recent questions and thanks for all your help :)

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
i wud remove the duct tape,

i use sellotape on mine, but i always ensure there are no edges sticking up, i then place newspaper between the mat and the substrate,

this is a good method, but isnt 100% snake proof, but (touch wood) so far i have not had any snakes stuck to tape

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would say the velcro would be fine, as long as he cant get under that also and get stuck to it... :roll:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I put my heat mat in place and put some old carpet over the top so the snakes can defo not touch the mat. But I use gaffa tape to secure the carpet down and I don't have any problems.....

As with all tapes make sure its all stuck down correctly or your snake could end up entwined in it, doesn't matter what tape it is!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Just put the mat on the outside and eliminate all problems from the word go!!

I almost never put heatmats inside vivs....

·
Registered
581 Posts
what about silicone sealent ? just a thin bead around the edge will stick it down. after seeing a baby corn stuck to some tape (brought into a shop) i personally wouldnt use tape or vecro as the velco is just tape really on the sticky side. but thats just me :wink: :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
don't use duct tape, that will melt on to the mat. I;m not a huge fan of heat mats because they don't seem to bring up the heat of my tanks... But everyone else seems to have great success with them... Most of my snakes have both heat mats and bulbs... i find that is best.

G

·
All my heatmats are held in place with double sided sellotape so there is virtually no chance of them moving and the snakes getting stuck to it.

·
Registered
25,628 Posts
I used double sided sticky tape but found it had a rather weak bond, so instead used double sided carpet tape from a local DIY shop that is a lot stronger

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
reticulatus said:
Just put the mat on the outside and eliminate all problems from the word go!!

I almost never put heatmats inside vivs....
this is what i do as i heard so many horror stories about snakes getting stuck and worse so to be on the safe side i just put the heat mat under the viv

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's a wood viv and I have a Habistat matstat all dialed in :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Yeah, Same With Mine, Wooden. I Have mine with a carboard the same shape as mat ontop, and then wrap around with newspaper and seal with sellotape. Not entrances to the heat mat. No problems.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Having a wooden viv doesnt stop you putting the mat on the outside, it is a contact heater after all :wink:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've put a layer of 6mm polystyrene on the viv floor, then put the heatmat on top. I've then put 6mm polystyrene either side of the heat mat (to give an air gap above the mat) and then a perspex false floor over all that, sealed in. No problems so far!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
reticulatus said:
Having a wooden viv doesnt stop you putting the mat on the outside, it is a contact heater after all :wink:
I tried that and on the inside wall but it wasn't as effective in providing a warm spot for the evenings as there is a bulb (reb) heating on a 12hr on 12hr off cycle

The velcro looks a safer option than the duct tap eso I'll do that for the time being (even though he's still in the tub for a few weeks more)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts