Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of replacing some of my heat lamps with heat mats to cut running costs a bit. How do i set up a heatmat in a 3 ft viv so as it doesnt get wet and short out?

G

·
If you are worried about the mat getting wet then there are a couple of options.The first one is to cover the heatmat with a peice of perspex and stick it down with tape or silicone.T^he second is to mount the heatmat on the back wall of the viv.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. If I put it on the floor of the viv, does there need to be a gap between the heat mat and the perspex or not? What size heat mat would I need for a 3ft viv?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have my heat pads under my vivs.I put little rubber feet on the viv that lift the viv by about 1-2cm (get them in b&q,homebase) so you get a good circulation so you wont get problems with your heat mat.

All my mats are attached on the under side of the viv so you get a good amount of heat getting to the viv and good circulation under the pad.In my 3ft viv i have a 12" wide heat mat.

Hope some of that helps :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've got a couple of vivs with mats under false floors - I leave a gap of about 5mm above the mat.
I used 3mm laminated hardboard for mine, but I reckon perspex would be a better bet.

One thing though - if the royal is currently in a viv with a bulb I'd keep it that way. A mat in a viv won't raise the ambient temp much at all - a degree or two if you're lucky - not enough for a royal. (May be the same with the carpet - never kept them so not sure.)

Kings/corns/rats should all be fine as long as the room temps aren't really low.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. If i do change it'll have to be gradually, as I can't go out and buy a load of heat mats all at once. Probably start after christmas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts