Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
atm i use a habistat matstat on my heat mat but ive been looking at the microclimate stats and im confused whats the difference between pulse stats and dimming stats :blush:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
atm i use a habistat matstat on my heat mat but ive been looking at the microclimate stats and im confused whats the difference between pulse stats and dimming stats :blush:
Dimmers are for ceramics not mats. :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh :blush: thx im so silly :blush: looking at getting the B2ME because you can control night time temps and its got alarms on it aswell :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dimmers are for ceramics not mats. :)
As above, Microclimate dimmers can be used on Mats as their minimum load is 5 watts. I use one with a mat in one of my viv's. My "spare" stat is also a microclimate dimmer for the same reason. I can use on bulbs, Ceramics or Mats. The Habistat ones have a mimum load of 40watts however, Generally. Pulse stats are better for non light emitting heat sources. Dimmers stats are better for light emitting heat sources. A pulse on a light for example would look a bit like a "disco" in the vivarium!!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
oh :blush: thx im so silly :blush: looking at getting the B2ME because you can control night time temps and its got alarms on it aswell :2thumb:
I looked at getting a B2ME a little while ago for my leos but in the end just stuck with the habistat pulse as I didn't really think the night time drop feature was warrented for Leo geckos as the natural drop in ambient temps serves the same purpose however if using for a species that requires a more specific night time temp they are excellent. If an alarm is a function that you'd like have a look on www.gekozone.co.uk at there digital thermostats. I've got one of these as my back up and they are excellent. They aren't a pulse stat only on/off type but they are pretty much as good as a pulse as there is an alarm function you can set to go off within a degree of your chosen temp. They also have a max load of 1200w which is double that of the habistat pulse and a duel plug with seperate timer for any bulbs so you can run mat and bulb off the same stat! I'll be getting a few more when its time to replace my current ones as they are really good value. :)

Sent from my U8180 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at getting a B2ME a little while ago for my leos but in the end just stuck with the habistat pulse as I didn't really think the night time drop feature was warrented for Leo geckos as the natural drop in ambient temps serves the same purpose however if using for a species that requires a more specific night time temp they are excellent. If an alarm is a function that you'd like have a look on GEKOZONE | HOME at there digital thermostats. I've got one of these as my back up and they are excellent. They aren't a pulse stat only on/off type but they are pretty much as good as a pulse as there is an alarm function you can set to go off within a degree of your chosen temp. They also have a max load of 1200w which is double that of the habistat pulse and a duel plug with seperate timer for any bulbs so you can run mat and bulb off the same stat! I'll be getting a few more when its time to replace my current ones as they are really good value. :)

so could you run 2 heat mats at the same temp off this stat from the different plugs ?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
No one plug is for maya the other for bulbs but you can run several mats and bulbs at tge same temp/timings off this one stat with the use of a multi point extention as you would with any stat proving the combined wattage of all attatched is within the 1200watt capacity. :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
You can also run more than one mat from the habistat too. I've got a 42watt and 2 x 11watt ones heating my roach colony. As long as you don't go over 100watts total you're fine. If you need to go over 100watts, there is a 300watt model too ;)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think im going to get the B2 pulse stat because it looks the better than the one i have and then i can use y habistat as a backup :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
You can also run more than one mat from the habistat too. I've got a 42watt and 2 x 11watt ones heating my roach colony. As long as you don't go over 100watts total you're fine. If you need to go over 100watts, there is a 300watt model too ;)
If you hook up multiple maya to a single stat they should all be the same wattage or they will give off different temps. Given that it's used soley for bugs its probably not an issue but don't try that with reptiles as your temps won't be accurate. :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you hook up multiple maya to a single stat they should all be the same wattage or they will give off different temps. Given that it's used soley for bugs its probably not an issue but don't try that with reptiles as your temps won't be accurate. :)

Eh? Not quite correct there. They only need to be the same wattage if you are using them in seperate enclosures. if you are heating the same enclosure. it doesn't matter as you are regulating overall heat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts