Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know that this is probably an equipment question but I wanted to put it in the general chat section due to the fact that not many folk frequent the equipment section and this might effect a lot of folk.

I use an infrared thermometer as I find it fast and effective at giving me readings from various points in various enclosures. I've come to notice that my leopard gecko viv - heated with a mat - has an unusual heat pattern which now makes me wonder if other folk don't have it too. I take readings from various points around the area where the mat is. This helps me to make sure that I have no high spots that are dangerously high. What has come to my attention is that the sensor for my pulse stat is not on the high spot. Now for me this doesn't matter as I know that the temperature of my mat is good for my Leo. But if I was to be using a thermometer with a probe, and the probe was next to the sensor, that thermometer would only be reading 26 celcius...so I'd turn it up...do you see my point? I'd actually be turning up the hottest point - currently at 32 celcius - to into dangerous temperatures for my Leo.

So my question is, how many folk out there have their sensor on a low temp spot and are actually over-heating their reps?

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,599 Posts
Yes, you raise a very good point. I also have an IR thermometer and have noticed the same thing.

Rather than putting a digital thermometer probe next to the stat probe, when I used to use a digital thermometer, I used to place the probe inside the warm hide as this is where the Leos spend most of their time and IMO the temps are most critical.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder why this hasn't perked more of a discussion? Is it just too much of a cat amongst the pigeons topic?

I agree that the temp inside the warm hide is most critical, but my Leo doesn't always lie in the warm hide. I've never seen a lizard get quite as flat as she does at times. Looks mighty comfy though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts