Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
It depends on which kind of rock you get as some have built in thermostats in them and others don't so the animal can get burned.Not keen on them personally but i know a few people who use them and don't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have got two on seperate stats (before they brought out ones with built in stat) used as background/ambient heat. I my bd's love them and will lie on them wilst awaiting the basking area to come on. Very natural and looks ok, gives alternative to heat mat when in wooden Viv.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
like everyone has already said they can get hot without a built in stat...heat loving reps are pretty stoopid and will lie on something hot till they burn!
as an alternative go to you local garden centre and buy a limestone bit of boulder bout £2.50...stick it under the light or on top of the heatmat and this will hold the heat after lights out..mine always lie on it during the night if they get a bit chilly. :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Only heard bad things about them!!

But imagine they'd be ok as apaz 69 says, on a stat.

Emma xXx

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Yea - they're great!! (just cut off the cord ;) ) Seriously though, I've heard of so many reptiles getting burned on them, even thermostatted ones.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
if you use a quality stat and position it properly how can they get burnt from it ?
they have many plus points for wooden vivs over heat mats. I have only heard of burns from people who bought them as a cheap source of heat and dismissed buying a stat (total cost £40).
I dont agree with using any heat source without a stat. (just in case)

stories of burns whilst using a stat are either set up incorrectly or urban legends.
I have no experience with the new rocks with built in stats but wouldnt be suspicious untill I her actual people tell me their problems and not ' i have heard stories'

the world isnt flat you know and witches cant swim if you dunk them but neither can mortals

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i dont like the idea of them for any of my leos.they just can get very hot and iv herd of nasty burns off them. :?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
apaz69 said:
i give up no ones listening.
dont go to far on a boat as plop you will fall off
I think this is just too much worry and money for the good points it brings.Heat rocks are all potential dangers,especially with water near,they can overheat,the stat may not be accurate,there can be short-circuits,fire hazards...I don't think leos have these in the wild :lol: ,it would be better if you want to provide them during the early hours of the evening with a bit of radiant heat,to place a flat normal rock under the hot spot,heat will remain for about 1 to 3 hours,depending on what sort of rock you use.Granite flat rocks store heat quite well. :wink:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
yes they do have hot rocks in the wild and if using them as ambient heat ie through out the night how will 2/3 hrs help. and as for problems with electric shock, its a sealed unit made from high density resin. dont dip it in your bath but other than that it will be fine. it is more enclosed than any heat source on the market. do leos live in a viv in the wild ?

And i have it on good authority that Elvis works in our chippy ' so I have heard !!!!!!!!!'

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hey guys

Why is it when some one asks for advice, they then seem to want to change everyones thoughts

If you want to go ahead and use a hot rock, thats down to you,

Many have said they wouldnt and why.

personally, i use a slate tile which is heated by a cable under the viv. gives a gradient, a hot spot and creates a nice warm hide area. easy to clean to !

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Well my "hot rock" is heated by the basking lights - it is also a cave my lizards can go into - the only thing can go wrong with that would be a light bulb blowing ... at the end of the day, it's up to each individual what they use, but personally I just wouldn't risk it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts