Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be away for a few days (5 or 6) at xmas and obviously the lizards are staying here. last year i just left them to it and gave them loads of water before we left and they were fine.

I've moved since then to a flat with wooden floors and an ambient temperature of about minus 7! (ok, probably just above freezing) so i've now got a reptile radiator on constantly so at least they're toasty. the only problem with that is the humidity is going to drop significantly and i dont want my guys to die while im away - they're too stupid to drink from a bowl of water.

i've got babies in the viv too (lizard ones) so im aware i need a good temperature.

any ideas on how i can compromise a little?!

:war:

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
heat mat under the water bowl should raise humidity to 70% put it on a mat stat and control temps thru it as well

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've only got one thermostat...in all honesty, i dont think when i got my lizards i researched as well as i thought i didcso its a miracle they're so healthy and breed every year!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think that sounded worse than it really is!! they've always had d3 bulbs and calcium and heat and humidity.

the viv itself has a waterfall and generally when i'm away for a few days i'll soak the substrate so the heat from the under viv heat mat evaporates it.

they're currently all huddled under the radiator and its on 85 farenheit! i'm going to turn it down in a bit cos i know they benefit from a colder season, but i felt bad for them getting so cold!!

as an idea, overnight the bottle i use for misting them in the morning was frozen - and that was on the floor in the bedroom inches from the viv! so they didnt get a shower the morning!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts