Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
If and only if your house or room they are in is really cold then a heatmat would be fine.In the old flat we had it got really cold between Dec and March so had a heatmat on them but where we are now it is warm enough for them without it.Hope this helps you :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
water boils at 100c....
i guess you probably mean 70 - 80f in which case the room isnt actually that cold... my whole house is between 60 and 70f
Owen

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yeah that temp range is pretty good, I wouldn't have thought you'd need any additional heating with that. You'll probably find that in the summer the main problem is keeping the temps down. Having the central heating turned up too high in the winter can also cause problems...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i don't have central heating in the room its going to be in as i've turned one of my bedrooms into a reptile room and don't need it. if it does drop cooler should i use a heat mat or a lamp

·
Registered
641 Posts
If it does fall too much you could use a mat. It really should be ok though, night time drops into the 60's are tolerable for them. We had to take our cresties out of one of our reptile rooms as it was far too warm in there for them, also why I had to sell all my asian ratsnakes :cry:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hiya mate.

You want to use a heat mat and a thermostat for cresties to get the temps.

basically the temp on the surface of the mat will be higher but forgetting that for a moment you want to aim for air temps ranging from 70-85 during the day, must have that cool bit which is why i think ppl are mentioning not needing heat.
they will be ok at 75 ish all day long but not at 85 u see.

65-70 al over at night.

if you use a heatmat that only takes up a 3rd of the floor of the viv, with an exo terra bein glass the heat will go out quick which is ideal in this case.

have the sensor of the stat in the warm end half way up the viv and set it to 80-84 see what worls best by using a digital thermometer to check temps in various places at various times over the course of a few days and u should get it spot on.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Your room sounds fine i wouldn't bother with heating, as a couple of people have mentioned it can cause a lot of serious health probs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts