Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Was just wondering how you heat your larger burms and boas? I'll be buying a bigger tank for my female burm soon and I was looking into getting a ceramic bulb on a pulse stat.

Only problem i've come across is that the usual hanging lamps and reflectors etc are going to last about 5 mins when the burm coils around the top and yanks the whole thing down. So i've been looking for a simple ceramic bulb holder sticking from the roof of the viv with one of those rectangular gaurds you screw over the top of it. Only thing I can find is a lucky reptile Thermo Socket Pro (threaded- which I assume is the type that screws into the roof) and a ProRep Spot bulb gaurd (black) + Eco Terra 150W ceramic bulb. Will these things go together?

Links to anything the Burm can't get ontop of and pull down with its weight like a clamp lamp would be much appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what size viv are you up grading to?
Its a 5ft Viv but it'll be the same with the 6ft modular viv when she gets an upgrade after xmas then the 9ft after that and other boas and burms get into the larger vivs.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
re

I use ceramics and tubular heaters, you can pick up a decent ceramic kit off fleabay for about £15
The one you have stated will not work as the pro spot guard will be too small for a ceramic bulb, hav a quick scan on the equip classifieds and you mite be able to find the lot
All i do is screw plate of aluminium to the roof of the viv and then the ceramic holder to that, (stops the roof over heatin and possible burning) add a 200w+ ceramic bulb on a pulse stat and then a guard around that and your set

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use heat panels in some and heat mats in others - If using heats mats make sure the heat mat is under the Vivarium not in it and leave a 1/4inch gap between vivariums so there is no thermal blocking

Daniel: victory:
Putting a heatmat under the viv will just warm the wood up underneath though. It won't transfer any heat into the viv at all?! I've seen pictures of peoples set ups and they have a bulb or ceramic sticking from the roof with just a normal rectangular gaurd around the bulb, screwed into the roof of the viv! What's that!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use ceramics and tubular heaters, you can pick up a decent ceramic kit off fleabay for about £15
The one you have stated will not work as the pro spot guard will be too small for a ceramic bulb, hav a quick scan on the equip classifieds and you mite be able to find the lot
All i do is screw plate of aluminium to the roof of the viv and then the ceramic holder to that, (stops the roof over heatin and possible burning) add a 200w+ ceramic bulb on a pulse stat and then a guard around that and your set
Cheers mate, The pic looked a little wierd and the 1 review I found on the net said it was naff. Will have a hunt around on the classifieds and Ebay for a ceramic set. :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Putting a heatmat under the viv will just warm the wood up underneath though. It won't transfer any heat into the viv at all?! I've seen pictures of peoples set ups and they have a bulb or ceramic sticking from the roof with just a normal rectangular gaurd around the bulb, screwed into the roof of the viv! What's that!
I dont use wood im a plastic man all the way!.. and i know people who have them under the wood yes it warms up the wood which will warm up the inside of the Vivarium you just have to play around with the stat to get the right temps....

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont use wood im a plastic man all the way!.. and i know people who have them under the wood yes it warms up the wood which will warm up the inside of the Vivarium you just have to play around with the stat to get the right temps....

Eww plastic vivs! lol I'm a wood man. Hmmm still worth a shot, I might get the biggest mat I have and see if it works inside the viv she's in at the mo. Cheers bud!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
always garden shed/conservatory heat radiators theyre round and from 2ft up can buy guards that fully surround them on here too
i may use these i have when i swap vivs otherwise might be for sale as i have 2 won't need 1 of them:2thumb:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
160w tubular heaters on pulse stats is the only thing I will use from now on, can be bought from screwfix for about £20 and heats a 8x2x2 perfectly without being on flat out :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
what length tube heater do you use in the 8 foot viv to get a warm and cool side?

·
Registered
137 Posts
160w tubular heaters on pulse stats is the only thing I will use from now on, can be bought from screwfix for about £20 and heats a 8x2x2 perfectly without being on flat out :2thumb:
Hi mate, had a look on screwfix for the tube heater and i cant find it :?

You couldnt send me a link to what you use could you?

:notworthy:

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I also recommend tubular heaters for large snakes

Although if you want a cheap guard for a normal ceramic, nick a shopping basket from tesco. You will not find a stronger guard than that mate! Big snakes can rip pretty much anything else down

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hey just reading this and find the tubalar heaters interesting...I currently have a 6x2x2 viv with a common female boa in, and use ceramic bulb too heat her house up what would you guys recommend from the following site? (im unsure of the size to go for really)

https://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Tubular-Heaters-c-214.html

then id just gaurd it as I would with a bulb i assume?

Also while im on (another Question sorry) how on earth do u light bigger viv..... my 5x2x2`s are lit by the kind of strip bulb holders u would use in you kitchen (cam ewith the viv) they have a plug but can i hell find ones that are plug ready and im concerned the full weight of a boa (if she managed to get on to it (would place at top of viv so between top back and ceiling) may shatter the bulb. I have played with the idea of L.E.Ds also but wanted opinions on what is best (it priviously had a normal shop bulb and holder in i wasnt keen so removed this)

Thanks in advance and sorry for so many Q`s.
Pete

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hey just reading this and find the tubalar heaters interesting...I currently have a 6x2x2 viv with a common female boa in, and use ceramic bulb too heat her house up what would you guys recommend from the following site? (im unsure of the size to go for really)

https://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Tubular-Heaters-c-214.html

then id just gaurd it as I would with a bulb i assume?

Also while im on (another Question sorry) how on earth do u light bigger viv..... my 5x2x2`s are lit by the kind of strip bulb holders u would use in you kitchen (cam ewith the viv) they have a plug but can i hell find ones that are plug ready and im concerned the full weight of a boa (if she managed to get on to it (would place at top of viv so between top back and ceiling) may shatter the bulb. I have played with the idea of L.E.Ds also but wanted opinions on what is best (it priviously had a normal shop bulb and holder in i wasnt keen so removed this)

Thanks in advance and sorry for so many Q`s.
Pete

hey mate about the lighting i would use the light how u said but get some wire mesh from b&q and make u own guard. its easy plus u can make it plush over the corner so no chance the boa can hang off it: victory:

to the guys who put the tube heaters on here as a heating alturnative:2thumb: thanks for the idea its gonna save me alot of money as building all new vivs in feb.

thanks again todd:no1:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts