Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - got 2 LEopard Geckos - M n F who will soon be housed in a viv of the following measurments - 48" x 15" x 15 - It has one of those big bulbs in it with the cage around it - I was curious to know the following.

1. WIll a Red heat bulb be fine? as it will provide heat in its most hot area an a will be cool in the other ened, Also 60 or 100 Watts?

2. Upon using this way of heating - do you think its possible I wont need to get a heat mat ?

Just need answers to those questions -

As I before I move them into the new house I want to make sure everything is set correctly - Ideally I dont want a heat matt Im hoping this bulb will be enough to provide them with enough heat an a cool area.

An wont cause stress or death!

As the reason im moving is im getting a new Adult male lecuistic gecko on Friday iv reserved him and he is going in my other 2 foot long tank on his own.

As he has been kept on his own for months in the petshop an is used for breeding as far as im aware from what the guys said.

An does not like to be housed with others!

Please let me know the answers :D

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
leos get heat from there belly so i would use a heat mat.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
It's usually more advised for leopard geckos to be heated on heat mats. Because they take in heat from their stomachs.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
I use lights for heating on my main stack of gecko enclosures.

They still get 'belly heat' - from the heat stored by the furnishings in the cage. Of course, I should also mention that I only heat during the day and let them drop down to room temperature at night - and that their light bulbs are white lights, not red.

However, Cracksolja, I didn't notice you mentioning a dimmer stat on the light bulb - which you will need.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i would recomend a heat mat really also.i cant help that thinking just a red bulb is going to be enough for him and the female.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a white light currently can get a dimmer but will that be ok or still need a heatmat?

Heatmat is troublesome for me because It means takin the back of the viv of which is awkward as there held on with the stable guns not screws and is extremely awkward but if i have to get one I will

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
As I said, I use white lights during the day only on the majority of my leopard geckos (and have done for three years). At night my animals are unheated. I do not use a heat mat in my main viv stack at all.

And my geckos are doing well. Eating, shedding, pooing and being geckos. Yes, you'd still need a dimmer - to control the temps and make sure it doesn't get too warm.

Why would you need to take off the back of the viv to fit a heat mat? All you need to do is drill/punch a hole big enough for the cable of the heat mat to fit through :) Then unwire the plug, thread the cables through from the inside out and put the plug back on.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
As I said, I use white lights during the day only on the majority of my leopard geckos (and have done for three years). At night my animals are unheated. I do not use a heat mat in my main viv stack at all.

And my geckos are doing well. Eating, shedding, pooing and being geckos. Yes, you'd still need a dimmer - to control the temps and make sure it doesn't get too warm.

Why would you need to take off the back of the viv to fit a heat mat? All you need to do is drill/punch a hole big enough for the cable of the heat mat to fit through :) Then unwire the plug, thread the cables through from the inside out and put the plug back on.
exactly what i was thinking.:lolsign:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I use bulbs too :) the ground still heats up there isnt a heat mat in the wild heat comes from above :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah hun, but in the wild the ground holds more residual heat because there's more of it and rock stays warmer longer than chipboard!

I use bulbs too :) the ground still heats up there isnt a heat mat in the wild heat comes from above :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
if you really dont want to use a heat mat why not use slate tile as substrate as this will hold the heat better or but a large flat piece of slate under the light bulb?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What type of dimmer would you recommend I get ? i get paid tomorrow so im buying all my hides and moist box things etc, plus my terrapin equipment since women are so pricey I have had to buy her a terrapin an all equipment !

God I love her smile :p

But if I can an idea what dimmer ill need ill go shove it in my cart now so I can get it all delivered for Thursday!

Then I get my new male gecko so excited :D

Currently have heatmat an thermo stat on my other viv I do like them but would prefer to evade having so much wires around.

Also punching a hole in my viv :( its one of the wooden ones with the strong cardboardy thingy majig backboard on it !

If a dimmer and a white light combined will work fine then thats cool ! ill get the dimmer sorted just give a model number i need

1 - 12 of 12 Posts