Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What wattage ceramic bulbs would I use for a 35" x 17 x 13 (LWH) and a 24 x 15 x 12 viv? Room temp is low 20's.

Is it better to buy a higher wattage bulb and let the thermostat run it at lower power?

What are better - Pearlco or Exo terra bulbs? Are there other (better) makes available?

How important is a night time drop for corns? The room temp stays around 20c, should I turn the ceramics off at night, or just leave heating on 24hrs? I used to have my corn on a heat mat, which stayed on 24hrs, but was crap at heating air so got a natural drop anyway, but the new setup will maintain a constant high temp if I leave it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i would go for 60watt pearlco ones.they seem to give me a good gradient on on a pulse stat they are excellent. as for the night drop just drop it a few degrees on the stat.the ceramic heaters are fine no mats or anything else needed.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree - 60w should be fine as the viv is pretty low.

You could use a higher wattage but if the stat went wrong/was accidently adjusted the viv would overheat quicker and to a greater extent.

As long as the room temp doesn't drop below 70F-ish at night then you could turn it off. Most of mine switch off for 6-8 hours overnight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts