Reptile Forums banner

heating small snake viv with heat mat

443 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  carter2011 
#1 · (Edited)
ill try word this question right..

am about to get a baby ij jag carpet, will put it in a 2nhalf foot viv with mat and stat, but which temp do I try get right, the ambient air temp above the substrate, or the temp on/of the substrate?

if substrate is 21c then the air will obv be a few degrees lower,and if aim to get air at 31c then the substrate must be 35c ish ?

same principle for a full viv,but will use a dimmer stat and ceramic for that , where abouts in viv do I aim to get the 31c ?

was told carpets prone to r.i's so want to get this right

#2 ·
Warm end temp is usually measured where the snake actually goes (ie under the hide on top of the substrate). No good having a temp of say 32*C half way up the viv if the snake doesn't go there :whistling2:. Also a heat mat won't get the ambient temps up, it will only heat what it is in contact with :2thumb:. For the ambient temp you need to have your room temp at a good level so this transfers to the viv giving a good ambient temp inside the viv.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.