Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Draco - Bearded Dragon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we are new to keeping Bearded Dragons & only had our 13 week old for 2 weeks. We have a heatwave here in Cornwall & really struggling to get viv temperature down in cool end. We have glass on viv ajar, 2 fans blowing, window open, reduced stat to 40 & even tried a 75 watt bulb. Still reading 30+ in cool end. Please can anyone offer any advice?

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Unless you can reduce the ambient air temp in the room there is not a lot you can do. With it being 30-33c outside, it will be more or less the same inside as you probably have windows and doors open. Unless the house has A/C then there ain't much you can do. I wouldn't worry too much... don't BD's like it hot ??

·
Registered
Draco - Bearded Dragon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you can reduce the ambient air temp in the room there is not a lot you can do. With it being 30-33c outside, it will be more or less the same inside as you probably have windows and doors open. Unless the house has A/C then there ain't much you can do. I wouldn't worry too much... don't BD's like it hot ??
Thank you, I’m new to keeping them, so just a little worried cool end was too hot. Other temps are fine. Just wasn’t sure if it was essential that cool end should be below 30.

·
Registered
33,251 Posts
Yes but not at night.

·
Registered
Draco - Bearded Dragon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes but not at night.
Thank you, I’ve got 2 fans going & window open, now put 2 ice blocks in wrapped up in tea towels. Temp currently at 28c. Am I ok to mist viv down? But don’t want to send humidity up too high.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much in all honesty, beardies are very tolerant of high temps. Just make sure there is water available at all times.

It sounds like your heat bulb has a thermostat so this will turn it off to stop it overheating. You can also turn off the UVB bulbs for a couple days if you are worried as these actually kick out a lot of heat.

·
Registered
Draco - Bearded Dragon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't worry too much in all honesty, beardies are very tolerant of high temps. Just make sure there is water available at all times.

It sounds like your heat bulb has a thermostat so this will turn it off to stop it overheating. You can also turn off the UVB bulbs for a couple days if you are worried as these actually kick out a lot of heat.
Thank you that’s really reassuring. Yes he has access to water bowl & have a microclimate evo thermostat. Keeping eye on temps & hot end all within range.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here in Bristol we too have a heatwave, cool end in my leos tank is reading at 27-29°C. I do not really beat myself about the issue, once ambient temperature cools down and so will the cool end in his viv. As mentioned, beardies are capable of surviving in higher temperatures.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tbh if you have a dirt and sand subsaturate(with a decent depth) the over night temp and heat soak it gives you really helps with stable temp.
Power cuts sensible ones) in the winter . No worries either.
No worries either

1 - 10 of 10 Posts