Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looked into our egg eaters viv.theres a white thing that looks like an egg.
went to take it out coz its a he, and thought it was poo or something. lifted up the hide and found lots of other things that look like eggs.

we don't have an incubator because we had no idea it had ever mated or was gravid as it was eating and everything seemed normal,however it was very aggresive a few days ago.

can anyone tell me if egg eaters sometimes have "fake pregnancies"or can lay eggs if never mated????

running round franticly trying to find somewhere and something to put them in help!!!!

any advice on how to make an incubator...quick!!!

she's still laying them at the mo you can see the eggs inside her

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

thanx,these are the piccies(sorry bout the quality). the only thing is we dont have any spare heat mats and stuff so we had to improvise with a cracker box and some bark,and we had to put them in another viv.don't know if this will work,we're just assuming they're infertile eggs. the shop that we bought it from are very good and they never said anything about it being preggers!!but it would explain her behaviour.

again any advice welcome!

·
Registered
416 Posts
omg wow!
ive no idea about an incubator? could you use a plastic tub with some of the spagnum moss and a heat mat?
yikes! good luck with them!

·
Registered
416 Posts
she's such a skinny snake too! i'd be ringing them up first thing in the morning see if they can help you with them.
looks like that would work well, can you get a heat mat tomorrow? ive a spare one here you could use if you were stuck, but i guess you can find a shop that's open pretty early.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't think we'll be able to get to a shop tomoz.if its quiet at work maybe but its sunday and i'm at work till 5 and on monday i'm on an all dayer,so probably have to be tuesday. plus we're on hols in 2 weeks!!nightmare!!!!

then if they do hatch we'll have to find eggs small enough for them to eat.

·
Registered
416 Posts
im at work at 9 in the morning or id have dropped it down. ill ask mark when he rings later see what time he starts and see if he can drop it down to you. ill get him to text martin about it

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx that would be great if one of you could do that,but don't go out of your way,if you can't then thats no probs.

i always thought that it was too young young it looked it any way,and thin compared to the other pics of egg eaters i've seen.

·
Registered
416 Posts
yup i thought she was fairly thin too.

oh and that reminds me Ro, you can change the "sex unknown" on the egg eater to female lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yeah! lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
finch eggs for the hatchlings, as it was said above. incubators are easy enough but you need a thermometer... set a container full of slightly damp sphagnum moss up with the eggs on top of it and make sure you do NOT change the position of the eggs at all! just pick it up and move it to the container... anyway then shine a lamp with preferably a thermostat on it at about 31C and keep an eye on the temps. relativly easy to hatch corns, dunno about egg eaters tho...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanx for that.she's layed about 13 eggs.the only prob is i don't think it'll be that easy to get finch eggs,i could ask our rep shop if they can get some,but we'll have to see if anything hatches first.
i read somewhere that egg eaters can store sperm and have a second clutch even if they haven't mated a second time,but fertility is often low :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts