Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help! I forgot to replenish my store of heat packs and now I'm in the middle of a power cut! WHAT DO I DO???? I've only got about an hour's battery left on my laptop so please respond quickly!

thanks in advance x

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
if the worst comes to the worst we create our own body heat, put her in a pillow case and hold her aginst yourself?

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Clam down, Snakes will be ok without heat for a while (as long as its not freezing!)

if you are worried either use some hot water bottles (wrap them up well so the snake wont get burnt!) Or failing that some plastic bottles filled with warm water (make sure you put them somewhere safe so they dont roll on snakey!)

But honestly going with out heat for a few hours wont harm them.
x

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dependant on species, most should be ok with the ambient temps for 24 hours.

Other than that pop out and buy a generator, we had 3 power cuts at the end of last year, and with the collection we have we have to have a emergency backup power supply.

If longer than 24 hours get out nad buy some heat packs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
erk dammit boyfriend has the car...will try the hot water bottle but how do I prevent snakey from burns???
I do have hold of my nelsons but I have others to attend to otherwise the body heat is what I would do...would a swapping system work??
thanks pixie_bex I'm just panicking as i usually use the heat packs and the minute i run out of them theres a powercut...just my luck *grumbles*

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys I've calmed down a bit now :oops: just looked out the window and I can see broken cables (about three doors down from me) :shock:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Generators are best bet. They sell em for £45 in the Makro cash and carry near me.

Wrap hot water bottles up in lots of towels. This will slow down their cooling and release teh heat slowly and at a lower temp. Just make double sure the snake can't get inside the towels to the bottle.

If you have warm water you could bath a few of them I suppose.

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Its all cool relax!!!!!

I paniced big time when I had my first power cut after I got my babies.

As gaz said they are hardy buggers

I normally wrap the hot water bottle in a towel as long as its not to hot it will be fine hun.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
We had a small cut the other day and my misses was ringing me panicking!
As one guy said on a commercial 'carm down dear its only a commercial'

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! *busy finding towels and hot water bottles* Guess I paniced more than usual because I didnt have any of my power packs and as I'm looking after a couple of my mates snakes at the moment...can you imagine the horror?

You've been great guys!

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
To be honest, it's a good time for it!
It's a mild daytime - they'll be fine!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mild...really? my house is freezing!! it'll warm up soon though as I've got a fire going :) whats more worrying is the wind outside with those broken cables flying about... :shock:

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
Considering it's the middle of January - yes it's mild!!

Good luck with them.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
welshgaz said:
Most power cuts last only a few hours so I really wouldn't worry... Snakes are hardy creatures

:lol: :lol: :lol: try living in Scotland then!!! That is a wild generalisation to make :evil:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
skimpy said:
welshgaz said:
Most power cuts last only a few hours so I really wouldn't worry... Snakes are hardy creatures

:lol: :lol: :lol: try living in Scotland then!!! That is a wild generalisation to make :evil:
well we had a powercut for 30 mins the other day and thats the last one I can remember for years here...

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
quick question, how do you get hot water with no electric?
kettles and boilers wont work!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts