Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He everyone, I have just got a 2 yr old Beardie complete with 4ft vivarium. I'm still confused about heating though. The basking end where the spot is the thermometer is showing at the highest in the red. It's all set as the previous owner had it but I'm still worried. Also she never used a water bowl in the viv and I have read that they aren't necessary, can anyone tell me should I have a water bowl or not

:?:

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have a water bowl in with ny beardy to. i very infact i have only ever seen him drink out of it once and i have had him over a year, but i woulnd not have one in there

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
one of our beardies has what i can only describe as a hamster water bottle and it drinks just as a hamster would.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
My dragons have all had bowls.

Regarding your temps, I'm guessing you must have a stick-on or dial/analog type thermometer? This type isn't known for their accuracy (I've known them to be 10 degrees out!) you'd be better off getting a digital thermometer so you can tell exactly what the temps are hot end and cool end. Cool end should be about 80 and warm end ambient about 90 with an elevated basking area of about 100 degrees.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I have two circular thermometers stuck at each end on the rear of the viv - they have a black needle marker in them. So it seems that it's a yes on the water bowl then. I just read another reptile site and again they said not too that it causes too much moisture that can cause mould and parasites. There is so much contradictory advice the same as the substrate. The previous owner was using ground walnut shell which is in there at the moment but I've read that's bad. Talk about confused, I also think I need to look into some kind of timer as well :?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts