Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: Our corn snake has been, until recently, a happy healthy chappy. We got Sebastian 6 months from an experienced snake keeper (sorry, don't know the correct term). He is 4 foot long, good strong muscle tone and very friendly. In the last few weeks we have become concerned about him. He hasn't shed in around 6 weeks and has refused to eat for over 2 weeks now. He usually has a healthy appetite and readily strikes and wraps himself around his chick before devouring it. The ones we have offered him in the past two and a half weeks he has just 'sniffed' and then shown no more interest. We have tried leaving them in there for a while with him but no joy.
Is this just because he needs to shed, and if so what can we do to help?
The only change to his environment has been the introduction of a different brand of non-scented wood based cat litter, wood pellets.
He has a heat pad under his log hideaway.
Any advide/help would be gratefully received. Rob, the guy we bought him from has gone to China for a year, so no help from that area!
Thanks, Carol

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much this time of year corns slow down, eating and shedding less, some of mine have and some havnt, just check your temps above the heat mat it wants too be around the high 70s low 80s, is it possible your new substrate is acting as insulation and stopping the heat reaching the snake? personally i use aspen bedding for my corns, as for food are you offering chicks only? if so i would strongly suggest changing to adult mice or rat pups, chicks offer basically nothing in the means of nutrition, hope this helps keep me updated :)

mattie

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
firstly corect me if im rong but chicks arent the best meal for corns just a treat?? also 2 weeks no feeding is nothing really as long as u way him and make sure his/her wait dosent drop to much some snakes on here have gone on a fast for upto 6 months its normal (could be because its winter?? corect me) and shedding as they get older will slow down and become less frequent
dan
ps please do not hold me to any of this let a more experianced keeper correct me

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
oops posted at the same time
dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:D Thanks guys, much appreciated. We have been feeding him chicks with adult mice as occasional treats as advised by the seller but will certainly be out to the shops tomorrow to get some tasty mice and rat pups for him! Will also check the temp above his heat mat.

Carol

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
1. its starting to get 'that time of year' again, if he's a male, he's maybe starting to think about finding himself a girlie instead of thinking about eating
2. if your corn will eat rodents then steer clear of chicks. firstly they're not as nutritious as rodents, and if corns get the taste for chicks they can be a real pain in the rear to get back onto rodents. once on rodents, stay on rodents!
3. some corns can go off food when they are due to shed
4. your viv temperatures could be too high or too low
5. what is the 'wood cat litter'? if its pine or cedar or contains these, then bin it straight away cos the fumes are toxic to your snake
6. this ones a long shot, but the snake could be de-hydrated. make sure theres always clean water available (i don't mean to imply anything or offend with this suggestion!! ;))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts