Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a beautiful African black house snake from a reptile show ~1.5 months ago. I was told by the seller this is a ~2yo female, identified as a wild caught L. Inoratus. Just noticed today that she developed several pale spots throughout her body that weren't there a week ago (pictured below), and I am getting a bit worried if this may be some form of disease that needs to be treated??
When I first got her, I did notice 2-3 tiny spots on her scales that I thought were old scars/indented scales.
Otherwise, I have been feeding her 2 fuzzy mice every week, and her feeding response has been great and gaining weight well (last feed 5 days ago, weighing 73g at that time). Keeping her on aspen, 5 gallon tank (temporarily), 2 hides, with UTD heating pad on warm side ~87F, and cool side room temp. Ambient humidity of... ~40-50% indoors.
Any advice on these spots (or general suggestions on her care) would be greatly appreciated!

TL;DR: Help! New spots on otherwise healthy acting (so far) snake. Do I need to take her to a vet???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,

the Forum seems a bit lethargic on posts and replies.

Any doubts, then find a reputable vet.

No relevant experience or insights to the spp or condition, sorry, but best of luck.

Andy

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
It's not unknown for snakes to lose or develop a change in their patterns or colouration. The Bairds Ratsnakes start off in life looking like grey rat snakes / gt plains rat snakes, with saddle markings. By the time they reach two those saddles have all vanished and the snakes have a glossy slate grey coloration with orange edging to their scales and underside. By the time they are three they have prominent dark lines down the bodies. So these lighter scales could be a change that occurs with this species, something that seems to be mentioned in the first care sheet I found when I googled the species here

First paragraph under "coloration and appearance"

The African house snake is a slender, medium-sized snake that can be observed in a variety of subtle color forms. You’ll find these snakes in tones ranging from light brown to chocolate, and some may display faint spotting or striping.
If you have any real concerns then contact a vet for advice. They would be able to confirm if this is normal, or if there is anything medical going on.... other than that it's just a case of research to see if others who keep this species have experienced the same, however here in the UK these are not commonly kept these days...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the input and recommendations! Mainly wanted to make sure I'm not missing some obvious form of disease (first thing that came to mind was fungus since it reminded me of ringworm on humans, but searching up online pictures of snake fungal infection looked very different). Feeling a bit silly I missed that bit about the faint spotting/stripping. Guess I should do a bit more research :) Since she's still feeding great and gaining weight, I'm gonna just keep an eye on things for now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You might find that your snake is Boaedon fuliginosus. They can be olive coloured, brownish or black. I have 2.2 B. fuliginosus, I think they'll make a great alternative to Mexican Black Kings once they're a more established captive bred species.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts