Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my two female beardies for about a year now. I brought them together from a reptile shop. They had been returned by their previous owner as his wife had become pregnant and they could no longer care for them. They've been housed together since they were babies and are now 3 years old. They've always gotten along fabulously.

In the last week they've both become quite aggressive to each other with alot of head - bobbing and pouncing on each other so that they can give each other a good licking. Today the one who is usually submissive bit her sister and I had to literally pry her teeth off her sisters cheek. Luckily she'd only caught a little bit of skin and didn't even break the skin. It's like they're taking it in turns to be dominant for a day! I don't really want to have to separate them but I don't want them to really hurt each other. They've never acted like this before and I'm a bit stumped really. Is it the time of year or something? Any advice would be very welcome. Thanx!

·
Registered
25,686 Posts
I'm sure everyone is gonna ask this but are you absolutely positively 100% sure that they are both female?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
your just gona have to let them sort it out.

but yeh, make certain of the sex, as we have a male and female and they had a huge dominance struggle with a switch around on a daily basis for a while.
If they areboth girls maybe get them a male to share...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've had a good look just in case and I'm pretty sure they are both girlies. Also they were sexed by my mate at the reptile shop and she breeds them so I'd hope she'd know....:lol2:

·
Registered
846 Posts
As dean said you will have to let them sort out the dominance issues but keep an eye on them and if they do end up constantly fighting i would separate them to prevent injuries.
they more than likely just need a male as at 3yrs old they are gonna be wanting to mate and you know what women can be like when sexually frustrated :lol2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts