Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have want a corn snake literally allll my life. now finally my mom is lightening up about it and i thing i can convince her it is ok to have one. i have read like every care sheet on the web about them. so i think im responsible enough to handle one (by the way im 14). what do you thingk will help me convince her?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I was your age-ish (13) when i got my first snake, i bugged my mum since i was 10 for one :wink: i read every book i could and shared my knowlage with her, then lots of trips to zoos and TELL HER about the snakes you see rather than her just reading the info next to the enclosure.

Also save for it YOURSELF, that is a good way to prove you really want one!

And when you do get it......take great care of it!!

good luck :wink:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i have about almost the right amount of money inorder to perchase it. all i need money for is that snake itself and a second hiding spot. :wink:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah remember the equipment will cost a lot more than the snake to buy.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Also as snakes live a long time your Mum might think you will get bored of it after a while. If she says no the first time just wait a little longer and ask again... it will show you do realise the commitment that you will have to give for the snake and realise its not just a phase.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Best reasons I can think of:
They're quiet, they don't smell, they don't leave fur/hair all over the place, they're cheap to feed, easy to keep (once you have the set up correct) and they're educational - I've had snakes for over 7 years now but I still learn something new every week.

You don't have to pay ££££'s for specially made snake hides. Plastic plant pot saucers come in all sizes from hatchling to adult and cost pence - just need to cut an entrance hole in the side. They don't look too bad in the viv (the snake won't care anyway) and they're easy to clean.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah you can go on holiday and leave them, its great :lol:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Cornmorphs - just out of interest, how long would you say is acceptable to leave a healthy, adult corn unattended while you're away?

(Serious question BTW, I'm not looking to have a go or anything - it's something that I've been slated for myself in the past, although I know that many other people do it without problem.)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
its hard to say, but i would think... if youhave a realiable set up with a fresh clean and fresh water, fed a couple of days before you go... then 2 weeks in probably not going to be a problem.
this is for corns only really.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
once you have everything they cost sod all, unless you need a vet,

·
Registered
324 Posts
i got my first corn when i was 12 mate, and to bo honest my mum came around to letting me have one cos i dragged her to da nearest snake shop and made he hold one. she realised it was harmless and let me have one. i had looked into it a lot too, like urself, so try to do what i did.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
there must be, US is like corn snake heaven :lol:

·
Registered
324 Posts
cornmorphs said:
Agree mate. AVA, you could go into the pet store and just tell the shop keeper your interested in buying a corn and ask if you can hold that one they're to see its temperament or something. Then pass it on to your mum. Try to get her to hold an adult mate because hatchlings can be far too skittish for someone already a bit unwary towards snakes. But if you want the best possible pleasure, buy a hatchling and pursevere with it. Handle it with gloves even if you are scared in teh begining it'll bite as they really are lighting quick when you first begin to handle new hatchlings. hope this helped.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
andysharpe said:
cornmorphs said:
Agree mate. AVA, you could go into the pet store and just tell the shop keeper your interested in buying a corn and ask if you can hold that one they're to see its temperament or something. Then pass it on to your mum. Try to get her to hold an adult mate because hatchlings can be far too skittish for someone already a bit unwary towards snakes. But if you want the best possible pleasure, buy a hatchling and pursevere with it. Handle it with gloves even if you are scared in teh begining it'll bite as they really are lighting quick when you first begin to handle new hatchlings. hope this helped.
yes the US is corn heaven! buut only a few stors (were i live) actually know what the heck they're talking about. so i try to go to the goods ones.

oo i never thought of the gloves idea! thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey my mum hated snakes so I had to work on her since i was 8yrs old!

I read up about them, took all opportunities to hold snakes and interact with them -the works!

anyway what finally made her change her mind an let me get Legs (my nelsons milksnake) was when I passed my GCSE's with flying colours and then worked all summer so I could afford to buy a snake, all its equipment and a few months supply of food

i know that may seem like ages but believe me iv had Legs for just over a year now an hes well worth the wait!plus if you say your willing to wait that long it might make her take you seriously!

well about a month ago i finally got her to hold him and even she agrees hes adorable!

now i just have to persuade her to let me get a tattoo... :D

another thing i forgot to mention was the mice in the freezer see it turns out my stepdad doesnt particularly appreciate them but as long as they are kept in a sealed container thats opaque he puts up with it just in case your mum was concerned about that..if not it might be best to try an avoid the subject...

·
Registered
324 Posts
oh there is a way around mice in the freezer... when i was a wee lad living with my parents i used to go to the shop a day before feeding time and buy one mouse at a time.... then it turned to buying like 7 or 8 mice everytrip but by then i got my place so i bought a wee freezer and bought in bulk... i'd recomend you getting one mouse a week mate.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
cornmorphs said:
its hard to say, but i would think... if youhave a realiable set up with a fresh clean and fresh water, fed a couple of days before you go... then 2 weeks in probably not going to be a problem.
this is for corns only really.
That's made me feel better. I recently left mine (garters, milk, royal & plains rat - all 2yrs+) for 10 days, but did have my GF's mum round about 4 times and was in phone contact in case anyone dropped one in their water, etc.
If you give them a good feed before you go then most'll be sleeping it off for about 4 days anyway. Suppose it depends on the time of year too - I wouldn't want to leave mine for longer than 3 or 4 nights in winter in case a heater failed.

Cheers (and apologies for hijacking the thread a bit!)

Mark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts