Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beardie is 18 months old and hasn't been eating since the summer (I mean ANYTHING, no live food or veg) but he wasn't losing weight. He was still drinking and happy so I wasn't too worried. However I went on holiday a few weeks ago and when I got him back he had suddenly dropped a ton of weight and was very dehydrated. I made sure he had plenty to drink so that was soon sorted but he still wasn't eating so I decided to start force feeding him waxworms 2 days ago covered in dust.

I've been goving him T-Rex hydro-life which the guy at the shop recommended. 2 days ago I got him to eat 2 wax worms, yesterday 4 waxworms and today I fed him 2 about an hour ago and the 2nd one is still in his mouth...he is drinking but he still hasn't done a poo, although he seems to be a bit stronger and livelier. How long should I wait and how long do you think it will take him to put a bit more weight on? (Sorry, bit of a long story!) I don't really want to go to the vets because its a very long way away.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Can you go through your husbandry incase there is any obvious reasons for his loss of appetite? It could be something you have missed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really can't think of anything, although he's probably not pooing because he hasn't had any vitamin dust for such a long time (I force fed him veg with it on though sometimes and got calcium stuff to put in the water)
I changed his bulb from 40W to 60W the other day, do you think it will help?

·
Registered
77 Posts
You really shouldn't be guessing what is wrong with your beardie.. you should have taken it to the vet after it hadnt eaten for around 2 or 3 weeks not a couple of months.
I would recommend to stop force feeding all together, its really not good for them and the stress causes a lot more harm than the food does help. Syringe feeding a slushed food of worms and veg is good though.
Please get him to the vets ASAP.. it sounds quite serious and only a reptile vet can tell you what is wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mums going to take him to the vet this week, do you think a cat basket with a hot water bottle is ok? We don't have anything to take him in. Its over 1 hour drive.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
i use a cat carrier with a hot water bottle wraped in a towel inside the carrier then i put in a few pillow cases and a towel then a blanket over the top :D
manda xx

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
be extremely careful if u use a hot water bottle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts