Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So my male G. rosea has began sperm webbing, really want to start pairing him with my female.

However, this will be my first attempt at breeding spiders!

I need as much advice as possible, from pairing, to housing for the female, knowing whether she is gravid, to pull or not to pull the egg sac? All the way to the keeping and feeding of the little slings (assuming all goes well)

Any advice would be appreciated as I've only read a couple books but first hand knowledge and experience is always a step above in my opinion!

I do have a friend close by who would be able to help me, but I'd rather learn myself and be able to impress him with how well I have done.

If you need any information I have missed off just let me know, I usually miss something out..

: victory:

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
I can only go by what I did...

I found the pairings went really simply (I had both RCF and NCF, whatever they've decided on for scientific names at the moment ;) ) with no aggression for either female.

They both laid sacs within a month of each other, approximately 9 months after mating, in the autumn. I think the time of year is misleading though, we'd just had a cold end to the summer and the heating had gone on in the house, so I actually think that it was the cold-then-warm that triggered it.

Both females looked after the sacs until they hatched by themselves, with about 350 slings each and no dead eggs left in the sac.

The NCF was mated again in October 2010, and is FINALLY starting to eat with intent now. I guess we'll find out if it's for a sac or a moult at some point!
Goes to show the level of patience involved though...

Best of luck with them :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can only go by what I did...

I found the pairings went really simply (I had both RCF and NCF, whatever they've decided on for scientific names at the moment ;) ) with no aggression for either female.

They both laid sacs within a month of each other, approximately 9 months after mating, in the autumn. I think the time of year is misleading though, we'd just had a cold end to the summer and the heating had gone on in the house, so I actually think that it was the cold-then-warm that triggered it.

Both females looked after the sacs until they hatched by themselves, with about 350 slings each and no dead eggs left in the sac.

The NCF was mated again in October 2010, and is FINALLY starting to eat with intent now. I guess we'll find out if it's for a sac or a moult at some point!
Goes to show the level of patience involved though...

Best of luck with them :)

Thank you :)

So I need to pair them up and separate them, then just sit and wait?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts