Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a cwd who is around 1 year and 4 months old he has always been crazy and jumps/ does acrobatics around his viv quite often ***128514; I recently noticed he was shaking his tail and looked like he was struggling to climb almost as if it was hurting him so I took him to a vet, I explained the problem to her just as I have here and before she even looked at him she said oh he's calcium deficient which I was confused about because although he's never eaten as much as a cwd should I have always tried to make sure he gets his calcium and vitamins weather it be sprinkling a bit into his water or offering him afew wax worms covered in it ***128580; but I took what she said dashund I was worried about him and wanted him to get better so I got her to take an xray. She took one and I have a copy of it (which I will attatch) it came back that he has dislocated his back right leg and she said his bones are extremley thin, she prescribed me some Meds for him and some extra vitamins told me to take everything out of his viv so he can't fall, I spoke to several other people about it and a lot of people have told me that the vet I went to has a bit of a reputation for wrongly diagnosing reptiles and they think she might be wrong as he seems perfectly okay other than his tail shaking and obviously his dislocated leg and I really don't know what to do as I can't really afford to get a second, third opinion as I have already forked out for a couple of xrays some Meds and vitamins ***128547;***128547;surley the reason he is shaking his tail/ back end is because his leg is causing him pain? Not because he is deficient and he has weak bones ? Also how do I care for a dislocated leg as she seems to think it can't be put back in but other people say it can be put back I'm so confused and have been so stressed out please can someone help me out ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance ***128522;***128522;

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear this. MBD is a terrible condition that is wholly avoidable if we understand and supply for the wild needs of any species.

You did the right thing getting an x-Ray. It, along with bloods is the only way to be sure,

I gave this free pod cast just last week on MBD for a reptile radio channel, and rather than blinding you for science with pages of text you may want to listen as I explain the condition and how to fight it.

Ep 55: MBD & UVB in Chameleons with John Courteney-Smith - Chameleon Breeder Podcast

Have a listen and let me know if you have any questions, if I can help I will

I will of course need to see that X-ray and have a list of all the equipment you use, the size of viv and how it is set up

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
57 Posts
This might help:

The safest way to handle an open fracture or dislocation is to gently wrap the area with a generous amount of cotton batting (first covering any open wound with a nonstick pad). Then cover the cotton with Vetrap, which is a stretch-wrap that sticks to itself. The cotton combined with the wrap will sufficiently immobilize a fracture or dislocation until you can seek professional help. Make sure that you don’t make it too tight, as it might cut off the circulation. Check the toes frequently to make sure that they are not swelling from a too-tight bandage.

If a wound has a bone protruding through the skin, the area should be cleaned and flushed. You can use sterile saline; a great source is contact lens saline, without preservatives. Use the squirt bottle to gently, yet thoroughly, flush out the wound, to remove any sand, dirt or debris. If you have hydrogen peroxide, you can then flush the wound with that once. There is a controversy going on today about using peroxide in wounds, as it causes some tissue destruction. You can also use povidone iodine solution (not scrub, which foams), trade name Betadine, diluted to iced tea color with warm water, to flush the wound and to disinfect it. Never mix povidone iodine with hydrogen peroxide, as this mixture can cause an explosion!
(From Treating A Lizard Limb Fracture Or Swollen Limb)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts