Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello!
i'm hoping and praying that someone would be able to help me out discovering the complete/ actual identity of my new iggy!
i saw him in the shops a few weeks ago as a 'club-tailed iguana' but the guy's in the shop couldnt shed any further light on him/habitat/food etc.
After LOADS of research i went back a week later and bought the little guy, fairly confident of the fact that i knew enough to keep the little guy safe, healthy and happy.
The problem i ave now is that all the pics i can find online of 'club tailed iguana' look nothing like mine!?! if anyone has any clues/ideas etc i would be eternally grateful as there is know way i want to be keeping any kind of animal wrongly!
thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry! i thought they had gone on! now bear with, me i'm blonde......whats photobucket?
:blush:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you blooming star!:notworthy:
ok spiny tailed, that was my guess (not that i'm gloating because i'm really not, just happy! lol!)
would you, or anyone else, hazard a guess at the variation? i'm a little bit OCD:crazy: about things and want to know as much as possible about igor

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
you blooming star!:notworthy:
ok spiny tailed, that was my guess (not that i'm gloating because i'm really not, just happy! lol!)
would you, or anyone else, hazard a guess at the variation? i'm a little bit OCD:crazy: about things and want to know as much as possible about igor

It would be a little beyond my own knowledge to determine variation... just like with most animals you can get many many different vairiants from the same area, not one animal will look exacly the same, which it is easy to see how you have not had much luck researching, but the shape of the head and the colouring shouts that out to me :)

Spiny tailed I beleive may well be the same as club tailed, depending on common use of name.
where scientific names are concerned I aint very good.

I am sure someone could help out a little further however, this is not a special area of mine but I do like identiying threads :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my main fear is that he'll be HUGE!! (dont get me wrong, i'd deal with it and house him correctly) but we chose this species as they supposedly only get to about 1.5ft as opposed to a male green's 8ft! (although i have to say once the kids have grown up i WILL be gettin my green) i have now just seen that some variations of spiny's can get to 4ft! b****cks!:lol2: so much for making an informed and well thought through decision!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi there, I don't know about variations etc, but you could try emailing some pictures to someone at Chester Zoo or somewhere like that? If no-one on here knows? Can you get any bigger pics up? I'm blind, you see... :) Sounds exciting though :) And I love the name Igor. I also love the name Fergus, but everyone I know says it sounds like Fungus....philistines! :)

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
my main fear is that he'll be HUGE!! (dont get me wrong, i'd deal with it and house him correctly) but we chose this species as they supposedly only get to about 1.5ft as opposed to a male green's 8ft! (although i have to say once the kids have grown up i WILL be gettin my green) i have now just seen that some variations of spiny's can get to 4ft! b****cks!:lol2: so much for making an informed and well thought through decision!!!

Out of all the iguanas I have ever came across I have never seen one beyond 5.5ft.

I think anything claimed to be over 6ft would likley be an exageration :)
Not too sure but I don't think these guys grow too big, if they do legnth wise it certainly will not be on the scale of beefyness, nice lizard nonetheless though.
They deffo do not reach anywhere the size of what say a green can :)

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Hi there, I don't know about variations etc, but you could try emailing some pictures to someone at Chester Zoo or somewhere like that? If no-one on here knows? Can you get any bigger pics up? I'm blind, you see... :) Sounds exciting though :) And I love the name Igor. I also love the name Fergus, but everyone I know says it sounds like Fungus....philistines! :)

Hey Ruth welcome to the thread.... I did not see you there.
Just looked in Kaplans book there because she does have pics of other igs and it does look like a spiny tailed opposed to the others.

I can't get the pics any bigger I am afraid.
I love identifying threads but again what I said is just based on my opinion.

there are some peeps who work in zoos on the forum who work with a wide vairiety of iguanid species, I am sure the thread will catch their eye and they can then offer some more advise.

I just wanted to have a go :no1:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol you just like the challenge then dixon! glad i could entertain you for the evening :Na_Na_Na_Na:
thank you ruth i thought igor was quite fitting! my mates, however, think i'm mad! i'm used to that though! i have e-mailed them through to the herptologist @ toronto zoo (i hope thats who it was anyway!) But no zoo's near me seem to have much interest in the reptiallian members of the animal kingdom:bash: i shall do some research however in to zoo's further afield, i tried to stay local ish in case they wanted to see him in the flesh (i bloody hope not though - he's already done a bunk twice whilst i was filling his food bowls and my god can he run!!!

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
lol you just like the challenge then dixon! glad i could entertain you for the evening :Na_Na_Na_Na:
thank you ruth i thought igor was quite fitting! my mates, however, think i'm mad! i'm used to that though! i have e-mailed them through to the herptologist @ toronto zoo (i hope thats who it was anyway!) But no zoo's near me seem to have much interest in the reptiallian members of the animal kingdom:bash: i shall do some research however in to zoo's further afield, i tried to stay local ish in case they wanted to see him in the flesh (i bloody hope not though - he's already done a bunk twice whilst i was filling his food bowls and my god can he run!!!
try messaging NBLADE he has kept a wide vairity of iguanas :) I am sure he could help you.: victory:

and yeah I love a challange, either way best of luck with the little one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahh, ok i shall do that tomorrow!
I cant tell you how grateful i am for all your help (and patience!)
i'll let you know if i ever get to the bottom of it!
thank you so much
genni
x

1 - 16 of 16 Posts