Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help.

Im asking on behalf of a friend, could anyone help in telling me what is wrong with his snakes eye? Its the same in both eyes. the snake is pretty old shes about 15 years old. Have searched on the internet but have been unable to find anything like it. If anybody could help that would be great..

Thank you

·
Registered
581 Posts
we have a 7 year old butter stripe with same thing. vet confirmed it was a cataract (it was just in her left eye). then a few months later she has both eyes the same.
It doesnt seem to affect her in any way, although she does jump sometimes (i guess its to be expected).

i think its just something that comes with age, same as happens with most animals including humans

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we have a 7 year old butter stripe with same thing. vet confirmed it was a cataract (it was just in her left eye). then a few months later she has both eyes the same.
It doesnt seem to affect her in any way, although she does jump sometimes (i guess its to be expected).

i think its just something that comes with age, same as happens with most animals including humans
Thanks for replying.

We did think it was that and if your one had the same problem and its been confirmed by a vet then im guessing its the same thing lol

Shes eating etc fine anyway doesnt affect her in any way he just wanted to make sure incase it was an infection or something

·
Registered
581 Posts
in my opinion, id have it checked by a vet, just to be sure. The pic you posted does look exactly like our butter stripe BUT im no vet and would never assume something based on a pic and or someone elses say so. Thats said, i dont want to cause any concern, and wouldnt be massively worried if the snake in question is eating and generally acting as it should

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in my opinion, id have it checked by a vet, just to be sure. The pic you posted does look exactly like our butter stripe BUT im no vet and would never assume something based on a pic and or someone elses say so. Thats said, i dont want to cause any concern, and wouldnt be massively worried if the snake in question is eating and generally acting as it should
Yea hes got her booked in next week at the vets :) he just thought he would ask just to see if anyone else had the same problem beforehand.
But like i said hasnt bothered her in the slightest shes still as normal as ever lol

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
I'm going to break the trend here and personally I wouldn't take it to the vet. From the pics and what you've said the snake just looks generally old and 15 is good for a corn so I'd actually preempt more problems being caused by the stress of being taken to the vets than if just left at home in the normal routine.

It looks like a cataract which is probably due to the snakes age so I'd just leave be.

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
Yea hes got her booked in next week at the vets :) he just thought he would ask just to see if anyone else had the same problem beforehand.
But like i said hasnt bothered her in the slightest shes still as normal as ever lol
It does look like any other eye with cateracts, human, furry, scaled or feathered an eye with cateracts looks the same, a round opaque disc which is the lense all cloudy.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Ditto what everyone else but if getting to the vets is going to stress your snake could you try and get a home visit?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ditto what everyone else but if getting to the vets is going to stress your snake could you try and get a home visit?
Its not my snake its a friends and the vets is literally 10mins away

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
I'm going to break the trend here and personally I wouldn't take it to the vet. From the pics and what you've said the snake just looks generally old and 15 is good for a corn so I'd actually preempt more problems being caused by the stress of being taken to the vets than if just left at home in the normal routine.

It looks like a cataract which is probably due to the snakes age so I'd just leave be.
I would have to agree, unless your friend wants the snake to have surgery to remove the cateract, an obvious sign of old age, I think it is better to not stress it out with a vet visit, even if it is only 10 minutes away, they vet wont do anything (surgery is risky in old animals) and there's no medication fix for cateracts.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I think he just got worried about her because hes had her since he was little so means alot to him

1 - 12 of 12 Posts