Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over a month ago, me and my bro lost our leopard gecko Luna. We searched everywhere but couldn't find her. Now, we had a few cockroaches in our house most were in the garage and 2 were in the house. One was found and killed in the bathroom and another outside of a closet. My dad said that it was too hot outside because its summer (live in california) so they came in the house but im not sure........... And I also read that cockaroches can eat rotting bodies......... Could she be alive? Please help!!!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
This is a whole different kind of messed up! What exactly are you asking? Chances are your Leo has done a runner but more likely is still in the house somewhere. If cockroaches can indeed eat "rotting bodies" then it wouldn't be an issue unless your Leo had already died which I highly doubt. I don't think the cockroaches have any connection personally, you've just lost a gecko.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure

Are leopard geckos really good at hiding? We lost one before but found it in 5 min so i dont know we're she could have gone. Also, it was very hot the last couple days so i think the cockaroches were just too hot we turned the AC On too. Can they still survive after a month without eating? I think she might be eating spiders in our house because they just keep disappearing. And if she is still alive, how can I find her?

·
Registered
445 Posts
hey

she will be in the house look in dark places were u would think a gecko would want to hide under sofas cabinets etc and gecko can not eat for up to six month with out loosing and significant wait and it will be in your house I mean only way it could of got out is if your leaving doors open and then it probably think twice before trying to go outside

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Highly unlikely the roaches have anything to do with the leopards disappearance,youvejust lost it.Have a good look round the house its most likely to be in a warm dark place in the house.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Lost leopard gecko

Should I check all my closets? They seem to be the places she would go in. Can they squeeze under doors too? I heard of people find theirs under the fridge but i checked there 20 times with a flashlight and found nothing.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If she is still in your house, she will be hiding. Leopard geckos like small, warm dark places.

So look under your bed, under cabinets and wardrobes, in draws, in any small places you can think of and remember to pick up and look under objects. Maybe turn off the lights in each room in turn, then sit and listen and see if you can hear her scratching about.

Don't leave any doors or windows to the outside unguarded, after you leave shut the door immediately.

If this fails you can try and tempt her out, the best way to tempt her out would probably be to put a heat mat on the floor in the middle of as many rooms as you can, cover them over with some kitchen role and put a hide on top and see if she comes out. You could also try putting out little bowls of mealworms in front of each hide or just generally around the house as I imagine she would be quite hungry and this might also tempt her out.

Good luck, I hope you find her. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Leo is still in the house, unless it had opportunity to get outside. Conduct a fingertip search of the room in which the animal is kept and extend it from there, all CSI like.
Leo's have turned alive and well months after going missing so put some effort in and find her. :whip:

·
Registered
131 Posts
We lost one for 9 months before and it turned up in the bathroom fairly healthy with a chunky tail so don't stress too much, just search every bit of the house. Ours was under the floorboards we believe

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
We lost one for 9 months before and it turned up in the bathroom fairly healthy with a chunky tail so don't stress too much, just search every bit of the house. Ours was under the floorboards we believe
really 9 months :gasp: bet you never saw a spider in the bath for a while then :lol2:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
putting flour around the floor in each room to check for foot prints least that way you should hopefully get a good idea what room its in

Reactions: babychessie

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Missing leopard gecko

Still no success:(.Will they just hide in one spot and come out to find food or just constantly move from place to place?

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Still haven't found her im starting to lose hope:(

Don't lose hope yet. There are a lot of stories on this forum of lizzies turning up after many weeks / months.

Check everywhere again. If she is cold she will be sleeping somewhere.

Check behind the bath panel also, baths give off warmth that attracts lizzies and they are often found under them.

Also check any boiler cupboards / airing cupboards.

Lizzies are creatures of habit, so leave her viv open and running and put food in for her. Its her 'safe place' and she will be attracted to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Still haven't found her im starting to lose hope:(
You haven't actually stated whether you have tried any or all of the suggested methods or not, so I'm a bit curious because there have been lots of brilliant ideas thrown your way. I do hope you don't simply have a defeatist attitude and have actually tried everything that has been suggested to you before giving up...!

·
Registered
445 Posts
hey

If this fails you can try and tempt her out, the best way to tempt her out would probably be to put a heat mat on the floor in the middle of as many rooms as you can, cover them over with some kitchen role and put a hide on top and see if she comes out. You could also try putting out little bowls of mealworms in front of each hide or just generally around the house as I imagine she would be quite hungry and this might also tempt her out.
u tried this comment yet

1 - 20 of 25 Posts