Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my young leopard gecko who i got on monday has done a poo,but its glistening and has no structure.it soaked in to the paper towel and left a stain.i have seen one one other poo and that was fine-on tuesday.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Need a run down of your set ups particular temps and what your using to measure your temps.
Be prepared in case a vet visit is in order

Reactions: tremerz97

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
That may well be your problem. All I will say is youve been lucky with your adult. Temps are critical for normal digestion. Over or underheating can cause serioys problems includind the squits. First thing is to get your mat on a stat and ensure the area directly over the heatmat is 33c. It would also be worth getting any further poops screened for parasites or infection. Pinmore Animal Lab Services do them. I cant post links via phone but you will find them via google.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I agree with all the above.It is very very important to get the temps correct.You need a digital thermometer or two with probes on and the temps need checking with those.Can you give your set up details please such as...

Viv size
Heat mat size
Food being fed
Supplements used
How many hides and where placed
Moist hide available and where placed
Is water available
Is pure calcium available
What substrate are you using?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
viv=37cm-length x 17cm width
heat mat covers about a quarter of the floor space
its on crickets and mealworms+the occasional waxwork.they are all being kept in clean conditions.
i use bug grub and bug gel-havent had shane to get any gut load etc.
only one hide-a moist one as it is all that fits
water is available.
no,there is no pure calcium-i wasn't aware leopard geckos needed this?i have read numerous care guides and books, and the pet shop didnt tell me i needed this when i got my other leopard gecko 5 years ago
paper towels as substrate

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
Thats the size tub we use for hatchlings and we put three hides in there. How big is the gecko ? Without a thermostat and way of monitoring temps you run real risk of catastrophy. If your using an unstatted heatmat warm end temps can be dangerously high and the animal has no way of getting away from the heat. Im sorry but you urgently need to review the setup and get the stat and thermometer. If the tub is the appropriate size for the animal itt must be quite a small gecko. The diahorrea could quickly cause dehydration and kill the animal. Sort the husbandry out and if it persists you need a vet and a faec screen.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
viv=37cm-length x 17cm width
heat mat covers about a quarter of the floor space
its on crickets and mealworms+the occasional waxwork.they are all being kept in clean conditions.
i use bug grub and bug gel-havent had shane to get any gut load etc.
only one hide-a moist one as it is all that fits
water is available.
no,there is no pure calcium-i wasn't aware leopard geckos needed this?i have read numerous care guides and books, and the pet shop didnt tell me i needed this when i got my other leopard gecko 5 years ago
paper towels as substrate
Wow 14 and a half inches by 6 and a half inches is extremely small.
Just having a moist hide isn't good as that's the only place for him/her to go which in itself could cause problems especialy if the temps aren't correct.Has the tub he/she is in got plenty of ventilation?You need a dry hot hide and a dry cool hide and the moist hide aswell.

Don't you dust any of your gecko's insects with anything ?

As Mal said you urgently need to change the set up and sort your husbandry out.First thing is to get digital thermometers and in my opinion a bigger living area for the gecko which will mean a bigger mat also.

What is the set up you have your other gecko in?

Please don't take this advice as critisism.We are telling you so that you can correct things and help your gecko before it gets seriously ill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts