Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My lilttle brothers corn snake as escaped and I no there will probly be no chance of finding him now but if there is could anyone give use some ideas how please.

He's about 18inchs long so quit small too. I got him ou of his viv at tea time yest then my mum went to put his light on this morning and he wasn't there.

Not sure of last time my brother seen him as he's school at moment. So as of now the last time seen in his viv was bout 4.30 yest.

SO PLEASE PLEASE COULD ANYONE HELP.

·
Registered
198 Posts
hope u find it!! check everywhere warm close to where the viv sits first, then start taking the house apart, as i said in the pm we found our adult corn about a ft away from her viv in a cupboard hiding in some letters

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Mine escaped in the summer, with the back door wide open, I assumed she'd made a run for it and gave up all hope of ever finding her.

She turned up 1 month later though, hiding in a gap in the floorboards, and it took another month to coax her out! Got there in the end though, so DON'T GIVE UP!!!

They tend to head for the closest, darkest, warmest spot to their viv. First work out if it could leave the room, search everywhere, lookout for gaps in the wall or floor it could have got through.

Leave a trail of flour or matchsticks across every doorway - will let you know where it is if it moves about in the night.

Crumpled plastic bags around the skirting will make a noise if it moves over them.

If you suspect where it may be, put a mouse out and wait - it may tempt it out.

Loads of other stuff, search the forum for the many threads on escapes, good luck.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
1st are you sure he's lost. He's not just under the substrate (if you use any) ?

If not and he has escaped then here are a few ideas that might help:
Or try searching on here for 'escaped snake'.

Create one or two hot spots around the house and he might go and bask under one. Try to put them in places not too open where he will feel safe.
Use desk lamps or something. Maybe hot water bottles wrapped in a few towels. Also try food near a hotspot as the smell may also lure him over. Hopefully your snake will eat teh food and then sit where its warm.

Putting flour accross doorways will help check for movement around the house. You can also use a line of matchsticks which makes it easier to tell which was he was going.

You can also make traps but I'm not too sure on the designs. I know cutting the top off a 2 litre pop bottle and turning round and putting back inside the rest of the bottle. Not sure on bait apart from normal food.

He may be under your floorboards in which case you would have to lure him out using above tactics or finding the hole he may of gone down and putting a box over it with a hole facing the hole in the floor. If youre lucky he will go into the box and you can just pick it up.

Check anywhere that will be warm. Inside your PC if he can get in. Airing cupboard. Anywhere you know will be warm.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
198 Posts
he's defo not in the viv, i pm'd and was the first thing i asked as i've been caught out with the "oh no, my snakes has escaped" but it was hiding in the substrate. always such a panic when 1 gets lost, though try not to panic, as u may overlook somewhere that he could be hiding

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
search everythin 2x an good luck, it will turn up, probs in summer in better health than ever expected lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the help we're goin to have another good look (under the floorboards near the viv) then if no look we goin to try more of everyone's ideas

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
THE FAMOUS SNAKE TRAP!!!

find an old shoe box, cut a hole just big enough for him to fit through, on the inside tape a sandwich bag(or something similar) so the snake can get through it cant get out, place his dinner in there and wait!!! check every day.

I lost mine for three weeks, got told about this, and HEY PRESTO!! it does work.

Just remember to tape the lid down, lol.
Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts