Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so yesterday was Hannibal's first handling and heres how it went:

-First i put his faunarium on the floor cos i didnt want him to fall or anything. I opened it and he looked up at me, and raised his head and the thinner part of his neck and stood still, except small movements of the head from left to right - and he looked like he was about to kill me lol... He does this quite often, especially when i change his water, anyone know what this means?

-So i went in to lift him out, but he moved, so I ended up touching him round the thinner part of the neck, and he got scared i guess and curled into ball... Then when he stopped, i took him out on the carpet and he was quite happy nd all, i could pick him up BUT at times , when i was holding him he turned his head round to face my hand and started to sqeeze my arm - and i just freaked out and took my hand away. This happened quite a few times and it was quite scary - again, what does this mean?

-Then he 'stood up' and slid into his faunarium (it was on the floor with top removed), so i wanted to touch him while he was inside, as soon as he saw my hand he had a go at my hand and tried to bite it. He actually touched the bit where the thumb conects with the index finger but thanks to my superman reflexes i pulled away before he bit - but why did he even attempt to?

Gosh hes small and all, but when he opens his mouth hes sooo scary... and when he tried to bite me I nearly had a heart attack lol =/

Oh, and lastly, if a royal bites you, do they keep on holding you like they do with their food, or do they let go? Anyne got pics of royal bites?

I know this is boring nd all, but I just want to know what his body language means, and preferabely from someone elses experiences:Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
did you not think of how you would hanle it before you bought it best thing to do is just go ahead and pick him up and try not to be scared once he knows you're not a threat he will calm down

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummm I saw him being handled and all, but his enclousure was different... And yes I know how to pick him up, but when his head is close to his wider bit then its a bit scary tbh... And this is my first snake after all, but i guess practice will make perfect: victory:

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
He attempted to bite you because he saw a big hand coming towards him, and felt threatened.

Don't be hesitant when handling him, it's the worst thing you can do. Be confident, hold him - don't let him hold you. When you feel him tightening his grip, ask yourself whether it's because you aren't supporting his weight, or because he feels threatened by you, and then fix the problem.

They only ever strike in defense, so don't come at him from behind, because as soon as he spots your hand - he'll more than likely go for you before you can go for him.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
i think all babies snakes are like this they dont know what a hand is so they will be frigthen if something they size or bigging it going in for them. just when u handle i think it will get use it to and they are perfect when adults i think. same with corn snakes.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
ummm I saw him being handled and all, but his enclousure was different... And yes I know how to pick him up, but when his head is close to his wider bit then its a bit scary tbh... And this is my first snake after all, but i guess practice will make perfect: victory:
like i said dont hesitate just pick him up no matter where his head is chances are if he's tucked into a ball he wont even move when you pick him up you could roll him about the floor (not that you should lol)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I find the flat hand over the top pretty good. Mostly I approach slowly from 1 side, give her a knowing touch then gently start taking her weight into my hands. Good Luck, Confidence grows with time, for both of you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he tried to bit me when my hand came in from the side though... and also, is it better to approach it in one move or to do it slowly and step by step? Oh, and finally, will he keepon holding on after he bites, or will he just bite and let go?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Just get your hand in there....If your really worried put a glove on....:2thumb:

·
Registered
119 Posts
might be worth opening his faunarium and letting him come out himself before you pick him up,i'm no expert just a thought

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
he tried to bit me when my hand came in from the side though...
Were you moving slowly/pulling away and then going back in?

Just go for it with one swoop, grab him before he has a chance to react, make sure you support his weight properly so that he feels as safe as he can, and he should be fine..

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Alot of royals are head shy so wouldnt like a big scarey hand coming at them above there head , best to pick them up from behind at the mid body.
how long have you had him ?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
he tried to bit me when my hand came in from the side though... and also, is it better to approach it in one move or to do it slowly and step by step? Oh, and finally, will he keepon holding on after he bites, or will he just bite and let go?
I tend to go slow and let the snake choose whether I handle it - if I put my hand in and the snake flinches away from the "wake up" touch or gives any aggressive behaviour, I will probably just leave the snake alone. It's indicated it doesn't want me to mess with it, and I'd rather let mine have that choice. I don't have a real problem handling ANY of my snakes when I need to.... but if it's just because I WANT to, I would rather handle one that doesn't freak out about it!

As for the biting... it depends on WHY he bites.

If you smell like food, and he's biting because he thinks there is food, he is likely to hold on and constrict.

If you've scared him, he's much more likely to bite and let go straight away.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alot of royals are head shy so wouldnt like a big scarey hand coming at them above there head , best to pick them up from behind at the mid body.
how long have you had him ?
A bit over a week: victory:

·
Registered
560 Posts
if mine looks nervy i slowly put my hand down on the substrate in front of him till he licks it then reach around and pick him up, he's a bit bigger than yours tho so probably feels a bit more secure/confident.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when i put my hand on substarte he just stops, and shakes his head/neck from left to right =/

·
Registered
573 Posts
I got bit by my 2 year old royal last week, this was because he could smell his rat, and was no way a fear or an aggressive strike. I moved my hand too close to him and he struck out thinking I was food.

I did not hurt in slightest, more of the shock of the strike than anything. Couple of pictures of the bite below.

Culprit :D

As for yours, if you go in and pick it up and become hesitate, your royal will pick up on this, and it turn he will become stressed, and more likely to strike. Just be confident and pick him up in one smooth slow motion, no quick movements etc. Be careful to support his whole body.

As for the constricting of your arm, most royals will do this to a certain degree, but if it is excessive, it may be that he was spooked by something, movement for example, or he felt that he might fall, try to avoid holding him too high in the air, sit down if possible and hold over your lap. Keep walking around with him to a minimum as well

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ok, so yesterday was Hannibal's first handling and heres how it went:

-First i put his faunarium on the floor cos i didnt want him to fall or anything. I opened it and he looked up at me, and raised his head and the thinner part of his neck and stood still, except small movements of the head from left to right - and he looked like he was about to kill me lol... He does this quite often, especially when i change his water, anyone know what this means?

-So i went in to lift him out, but he moved, so I ended up touching him round the thinner part of the neck, and he got scared i guess and curled into ball... Then when he stopped, i took him out on the carpet and he was quite happy nd all, i could pick him up BUT at times , when i was holding him he turned his head round to face my hand and started to sqeeze my arm - and i just freaked out and took my hand away. This happened quite a few times and it was quite scary - again, what does this mean?

-Then he 'stood up' and slid into his faunarium (it was on the floor with top removed), so i wanted to touch him while he was inside, as soon as he saw my hand he had a go at my hand and tried to bite it. He actually touched the bit where the thumb conects with the index finger but thanks to my superman reflexes i pulled away before he bit - but why did he even attempt to?

Gosh hes small and all, but when he opens his mouth hes sooo scary... and when he tried to bite me I nearly had a heart attack lol =/

Oh, and lastly, if a royal bites you, do they keep on holding you like they do with their food, or do they let go? Anyne got pics of royal bites?

I know this is boring nd all, but I just want to know what his body language means, and preferabely from someone elses experiences:Na_Na_Na_Na:

1. leave him for a week without handling because you just got him and he won't eat if you don't leave him for a week.

2. small snake bites don't hurt, i didn't even know i had been bit until i looked at, its just the shock that gets you.

3. a ball python isnt a good choice of a first snake, they have been known to be picky eaters.

4. try not to scare him too much, he wont just bite you for no reason and biting is a last resort, the first resort is curling into a ball, hence "ball python", how would you like to be yanked out of your cage while asleep by giant which is about 20 times your size? im not saying don't handle him, just leave him for a week to settle, like all other snakes, ball pythons don't enjoy being handled, they just put up with it.

Luke : victory:

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
maybe the faunarium isnt a good idea either.
the slotted lid means temp and humidity can fluctuate a lot plus 4 clear sides means he might fell very open and so gets nervous - try blanking off bavk and sides with cardboard and maybe also change to a R.U.B.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The thinner part of the neck on a snake is generally more sensitive so they will be defensive (curl up into a ball or strike). The best advice when taking them out is with one hand go for the mid section of the snake, and with the other hand prepare to support the weight/fend off any unwanted behaviour! snakes bite, not very often if you handle them right though. once you are holding him remember he squeezes tighter because he feels that he may fall, not because he wants to constrict you. so 'be a tree' - support, do not move much, and don't act in a threatening way.

I agree with the advice re faunarium - they do get a little scared when they have exposed sides on their home - i'd block off the back and sides and fill the faunarium up with toilet roll tube hides - they feel more secure, plus when getting them out to handle you can just lift a tube!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts