Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i bought a new monitor lizard a week ago from a good rep store near me which i wont mention for leagle resons , she is a lovely animal ,and looked healthy, she is eating and is aleart, but today i went to feed her and after she had finished eating i was just watching her while she was basking under her heat lamp, and i noticed small pale brown insects crawling over her skin quite fast moving about the size of a pin head !!!!!, i had earlier noticed a couple of these on the white sink when i washed my hands after i had handled her obviously tranferred by my hands..but didnt think what they were and so was baffled and blitzed the bathroom clean !!! as its a new build house, i am totaly disgusted and dont know what to do !!, she is in a large wooden viv with another 2 vivs on top 1 housing 2 x day geckos and also 1 viv housing 2 x leaftail geckos so as this is a home converted double wardrobe the nooks and crannys will be every where and will be hard to reach with any mite tretment.... my partner said he would buy a new viv tommorow to put her in after she is treated and we can put the other geckos in other vivs that i have free, and will get rid of the big viv she was in compleatly what can i do now???? vet??? or what PLEASE HELP!!!!...

·
Registered
59 Posts
dont worry dont worry, there not severe, the only problem being lizard mites only live on lizards and snakes snakes. What you want to do is get mite treatment, preferably the one u dilute in water. get warm water put a few drops in, then set the bosc in and let him soak for 20 odd minutes. I found plastic storage boxes are great for this! While waiting spray his pen/water bowl/accesories down with dettol or any other disafectant. To make sure he still doesnt have them, put him on paper towels for a wile. Gud Luck:2thumb:

·
Registered
390 Posts
when our beardies had mites, we were told they were snake mites that they must have got from the pet shop (as we dont have snakes and a snake had previously been kept in their viv at the pet shop). If it is the same type of mite, then we were told that the mite cycle is about 3 months, and to bath as regularly as often and use a soft babies toothbrush to gently rub the mites off. We were told to take all substrate out and to put kitchen roll in as a substrate. We took all their logs out, froze them to kill all of the mites and didnt put them back in until we had got rid of all of the mites (so we put kitchen roll tubes in for them to climb on) We had to disinfect the viv and change the kitchen roll daily.

I would have thought it depends on the type of mites. I dunno how much help this will be, i dont really know a lot about moniters, i just thought i would say something, hope it helps, dunno if it will.

Forgot to say, we also used this mite treatment to get rid of them, that we massaged in with a soft toothbrush, i will find out what it was if u wanna know, i cant remember off the top of my head

·
Registered
59 Posts
nope, snake mites only live off other snakes, and lizard mites only live of other lizards. i brought in a albino burmese that was completely infested with mites, got it sorted on it but kept it in a plastic storage box with soldered air holes, thinking they should stay contained. they passed on to a corn snake that passed it onto another... they all had it, but none off our lizards did so maybe there are different kind off mites. Ive never had lizard mites though and ive been keeping reptiles nearly 9 years.

·
Registered
832 Posts
dont go out and waste your money get some adrap or provent amite and remove the monitor for the viv spray the substrait or a large peace of newspaper leave it to dry and palce the lizard back in it keeps working for 6weeks and will attract the mite from the lizard and kills them no empting of viv and no messing around contiune treatment till there are no other signs of mites not as cheap as some treatments but much better and you can do that with all your vivs even spray it between the vivs to stop them spreading

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
dont go out and waste your money get some adrap or provent amite and remove the monitor for the viv spray the substrait or a large peace of newspaper leave it to dry and palce the lizard back in it keeps working for 6weeks and will attract the mite from the lizard and kills them no empting of viv and no messing around contiune treatment till there are no other signs of mites not as cheap as some treatments but much better and you can do that with all your vivs even spray it between the vivs to stop them spreading

agree. the only way to go in my opinion. very effective. always have a can of PAM just incase in my cupboard

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took her to the vet and had it confirmed she did have them he said they were 100% on her when i bought her as i know i dont have them in my collection!!!, so i was given frontline, i have treated her and i have trown the big old viv out compleatly as it was very big and had lots of nooks and crannys for them to hide in and aoid being nuked !!, i also as a precaution treated all my other lizads too and compleatly ram sacked the house and ats too just in case, they are all now in quarantine tanks ...well my lizaarenot the cats or my other half...and now i have seen no signs of the insects since treatment, fingers crossed!! hanks for the help!!!!:no1::no1::no1:

·
Registered
832 Posts
glad you sorted it

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys!!x:flrt:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
dilute mite spray from vets is the best stuff or pet shop brought. just make sure u get it in all the creases and especially under the chin thats the worst place they get them and wipe it off with kitchen towel kill any that fall off still alive and repeat until u cant see anymore. had to do this before with a really bad case on a blood python, poor thing was trying to flick them all off and was twitching :(. gdluck

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just thought i would say, after investigation on these bugs i have found these insects in the house too!! totaly freeked out as i am such a tidy and clean person and my house is always like a show room so my mother sais!! and now found out that they wernt reptile mites on my poor girl at all but insect that were living in the wood in the house way before we moved in the house is a new buld so its still nice but....i was totaly livid with the estate agent and proper kicked off at them in a big way threated leagle action against them for damages and breach of contract ect ect and demanded they sort it out immediatly,as we paid 2000 pounds to move in not much longer that a month ago ... but im glad to say now we have had the place compleatly and utterly fumigated and the carpets are being compleatly replaced and a re pray being done...JUST IN CASE!!! at the landlords cost, and rightly so too, the cheek of it!!!im so cross about this as they tried to blame my poor reps and my siamese show cats and i knew utterly that they didnt have a problem deep down and i had it confirmed by the exterminator too..he said he had never seen reps kept so clean and well kept before and it wasnt my fault at all and my cats were flea free too !! so i am now glad that its not a mite problem and if there were any nastys around they are well and truely DEAD NOW hahaha!!!! .......plus i got a new viv out of it i guess . hehehehe. x am happy now. and so is my monitor.my poor girl. xx:flrt:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts