Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 4 year old Horsfield disappeared from his outdoor enclosure on Friday and we haven't been able to find him.

I cant find any way he could have gotten out though. The enclosure is a large rabbit run connected to the garden shed, with a little pen in the shed. About 6 inches beneath the run is lined with wire mesh which goes up the sides then connects to the run which is pegged to the ground. the run is covered so he couldn't have climbed over.

He could possibly still be in the enclosure but buried but I turned over his usual spots and haven't found him, and despite being a Horsfield he rarely digs deep enough to even fully cover himself.

If he has escaped we have a reasonable sized garden with an overgrown bedding area and a fairly weedy lawn.

We have been keeping an eye out all weekend but no sign of him so far. and have put water and food both inside and outside his enclosure. Tomorrow is expected to be very sunny so I plan to sit out and see if he appears.

I just wondered if there is anything else I can / should be doing?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
Hello,

My 4 year old Horsfield disappeared from his outdoor enclosure on Friday and we haven't been able to find him.

I cant find any way he could have gotten out though. The enclosure is a large rabbit run connected to the garden shed, with a little pen in the shed. About 6 inches beneath the run is lined with wire mesh which goes up the sides then connects to the run which is pegged to the ground. the run is covered so he couldn't have climbed over.

He could possibly still be in the enclosure but buried but I turned over his usual spots and haven't found him, and despite being a Horsfield he rarely digs deep enough to even fully cover himself.

If he has escaped we have a reasonable sized garden with an overgrown bedding area and a fairly weedy lawn.

We have been keeping an eye out all weekend but no sign of him so far. and have put water and food both inside and outside his enclosure. Tomorrow is expected to be very sunny so I plan to sit out and see if he appears.

I just wondered if there is anything else I can / should be doing?

Thanks
Your tortoise has probably dug down, they are very sensitive to weather and temp changes.
They are great climbers, so if you have a link fence he/she might be able to have climbed it. But my bet is the digging down:0)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your tortoise has probably dug down, they are very sensitive to weather and temp changes.
They are great climbers, so if you have a link fence he/she might be able to have climbed it. But my bet is the digging down:0)
Thanks for the quick reply!

I really hope he has just dug down. Is there any way to tempt him up or is it just a case of waiting for him to reappear?

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

I really hope he has just dug down. Is there any way to tempt him up or is it just a case of waiting for him to reappear?
He will probably appear again, as its too early for hibernation:0)
They will dig down if temps are too hot or cold. Watching where the sun hits the ground and he basks. As he is probably not too far from there:0)

Reactions: GT2540

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He will probably appear again, as its too early for hibernation:0)
They will dig down if temps are too hot or cold. Watching where the sun hits the ground and he basks. As he is probably not too far from there:0)
Found him! Buried deep under a bush still in his enclosure :lol2:

He is now happily eating his lunch completely oblivious to the worry he has put us through.

Thanks for your advice and reassurance.

·
Registered
914 Posts

He is now happily eating his lunch completely oblivious to the worry he has put us through.

Glad you found him, they are bloody good at hiding. I couldn't find my adult sulcata for a day in the garden.

·
Registered
8,166 Posts

Great news:0)
Make sure you keep an eye on temps, especially in September (or August if its bad) as he/she will go down again:0)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.