Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ye, today is feeding day (my first =/) and i got a mouse and put it into a glass of warm water, but how long should it stay there for? How do I know when its properly thawed?

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
Just take it out and squeeze it gently in your fingers... you shouldn't be able to feel any coldness anywhere on it, specially round the heart area.

I reckon it takes 10-15 mins for a pinky/fuzzy, and maybe 30-60 mins for larger mice.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
LOL!!! People replying wont make it thaw any quicker!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ummm ye, sqeeze chest ... yuck but I will cos i luv hannibal too much:flrt: Thx anyway

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Instead of using warm water, use boiling water? kills any bacteria on it and defrosts in 10 mins for a medium sized rat:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Instead of using warm water, use boiling water? kills any bacteria on it and defrosts in 10 mins for a medium sized rat:)
Nah cos itll cook the rat/mouse and apparently reptiles have got problems with digesting cooked stuff...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Also if you put a mouse in boiling water they have been known to explode, due to the heat expanding the gasses in the gut of the mouse I am led to believe,.

If the thought of squeezing a dead mouse puts you off (BTW once you have done it a couple of times it wont bother you :D ) scooping out a dead mouse with its guts everywhere will turn your stomach :mf_dribble:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I tend to take mine out of the freezer in the morning, put them in a freezer bag, and let them defrost naturally so that when I'm ready to feed they are defrosted. If I want to serve them warm I just put defrosted mouse/rat in the bag in a jug of warm water. Works for me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Btw, my mom started to cook some ugly veggie soup when i was dipping it in warm water nd for quite some time I thought it was the mouse:blush:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts