Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Im a recent owner of 2 baby musk turtles. One of them (not sure if male or female) looks like it has swollen arms and legs but I’m not sure if it’s normal. My turtle has started basking in the evenings but that might just be because he/she has just learnt how to. In the mornings it doesn’t seem swollen, just like flappy loose skin but in the evenings it looks swollen and sometimes goes in and out like when breathing. I have attached pictures.
Please let me know if my turtle looks normal or if I should see a vet.
Thanks!!

Plant Botany Insect Grass Terrestrial plant

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Hood

Plant Leaf Organism Mammal Pet supply

Plant Vertebrate Water Organism Pet supply

World Nature Water Purple Organism

Plant Botany Crocodile Wood Crocodilia

Plant Vertebrate Botany Nature Organism

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would keep the water temp between 75-78 and a basking spot of about 90-95. Don't let it go over that.

How often you feeding? If it is just bloodworms you need to offer it something else. Crickets, mealworms, pellets, fish, earthworms. Can also try some kind of greens as well. Since it is a baby feed it everyday. Once it is a adult you can feed 3-4 times a week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looking back at the pictures I would also get some bigger rock on the bottom as well. Maybe go with river rock. Turtles will eat the smaller rock and with him being so small it will possibly impact him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would keep the water temp between 75-78 and a basking spot of about 90-95. Don't let it go over that.

How often you feeding? If it is just bloodworms you need to offer it something else. Crickets, mealworms, pellets, fish, earthworms. Can also try some kind of greens as well. Since it is a baby feed it everyday. Once it is a adult you can feed 3-4 times a week.
I would say that is too warm - see above post.
I turned the heater down to 25 degrees. I am feeding every day and they both share the portion without conflict. For the vegetables should I wash them? I know that tap water is harmful because of chlorine.
I’m also waiting for to arrange a consultation with an exotic vet to check for infection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking back at the pictures I would also get some bigger rock on the bottom as well. Maybe go with river rock. Turtles will eat the smaller rock and with him being so small it will possibly impact him.
I’ve seen them eat food from the floor and they’re very careful, never eat the rocks but dig them away. Even so, are rocks necessary?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bloodworms should not be the only thing they eat. They should get them sparingly. The main thing they should get on the regular are items like crickets, earthworms, fish, and pellets to get a varied diet. They might not eat the greens like collards, mustard greens, etc. It is like 15% of the diet if that.

Having a substrate isn't needed per say. However, it does add to the turtle's life giving them places to dig around in for food and such like they would in the wild. It also helps to keep nails filed down when they are moving the rocks around. and pushing off them along the bottom to move.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is doubtful but doesn't hurt to try. In the wild they will occasionally eat on aquatic plants. It is a very small part of the diet but you should give them the option to see once in a while. Worse that can happen is you removed a floating piece of lettuce. Best is that they a little extra bit of nutrition. Again it is not a staple just every once in a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whereabouts are you as we might be able to recommend a vet, unless you have one in mind.

Doubtful that a young Musk would touch greens.
I’m in London, could only find one in a veterinary hospital but they have yet to call back :(
Bloodworms should not be the only thing they eat. They should get them sparingly. The main thing they should get on the regular are items like crickets, earthworms, fish, and pellets to get a varied diet. They might not eat the greens like collards, mustard greens, etc. It is like 15% of the diet if that.

Having a substrate isn't needed per say. However, it does add to the turtle's life giving them places to dig around in for food and such like they would in the wild. It also helps to keep nails filed down when they are moving the rocks around. and pushing off them along the bottom to move.
The pet shop where I got them from just gave me a pack of frozen bloodworms to feed them… what pellets are good? And what do you mean by fish? Frozen like the bloodworms or dried etc. sorry I’ve never had a pet

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure what you have in London but can always order online but might be kind of expensive. Reptomin is good as long as it isn't offered as a staple, Mazuri has good aquatic pellets, and zoo med offers some good ones as well. They have a growth formula for young turtles. I have used them all and each one has it's pros and cons.

Honestly, a lot of pet stores are crap. The big name ones are horrible. At least here in the states. They will tell a customer anything just to make a sale and sometimes they employees have no idea and tell them anything just to get them out of their hair. Most the good ones are mom and pop stores but even those sometimes are crap.

The best fish that you can readily get at a pet store to feed out would be the feeder guppies. Stay away from the goldfish and rosy reds. Silversides are not horrible either. Farmed Tilapia is good as well. I have fed cichlid fry out as well in the past. Just try not to feed one thing. Feeding to much of certain fish can cause vitamin issues in the animal. Using live ones allow them to chase them around though sometimes they may give up and your have a new friend with him. The best food for it that is readily available would be crickets. Get some, put them in a container of some type and let the crickets eat things like carrots and dark greens to gut load them for about an hour. Then feed them out. As the old saying goes you are what you eat.

The pet shop where I got them from just gave me a pack of frozen bloodworms to feed them… what pellets are good? And what do you mean by fish? Frozen like the bloodworms or dried etc. sorry I’ve never had a pet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure what you have in London but can always order online but might be kind of expensive. Reptomin is good as long as it isn't offered as a staple, Mazuri has good aquatic pellets, and zoo med offers some good ones as well. They have a growth formula for young turtles. I have used them all and each one has it's pros and cons.

Honestly, a lot of pet stores are crap. The big name ones are horrible. At least here in the states. They will tell a customer anything just to make a sale and sometimes they employees have no idea and tell them anything just to get them out of their hair. Most the good ones are mom and pop stores but even those sometimes are crap.

The best fish that you can readily get at a pet store to feed out would be the feeder guppies. Stay away from the goldfish and rosy reds. Silversides are not horrible either. Farmed Tilapia is good as well. I have fed cichlid fry out as well in the past. Just try not to feed one thing. Feeding to much of certain fish can cause vitamin issues in the animal. Using live ones allow them to chase them around though sometimes they may give up and your have a new friend with him. The best food for it that is readily available would be crickets. Get some, put them in a container of some type and let the crickets eat things like carrots and dark greens to gut load them for about an hour. Then feed them out. As the old saying goes you are what you eat.
Just ordered some reptomin. Is it ok to feed reptomin and the bloodworm maybe alternating? They’ll also be getting vetark nutrobal for vitamin deficiency as suggested by a vet.

The pet store I went to is small and local with very good reviews. They were really nice and caring so I’m surprised by this

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
With all due respect just because it gets good review does not mean it is necessarily a good place to go. May I ask why you are so adamant about the bloodworms? Is it cause they are frozen and not alive?

And yes it is good to alternate what you give them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With all due respect just because it gets good review does not mean it is necessarily a good place to go. May I ask why you are so adamant about the bloodworms? Is it cause they are frozen and not alive?

And yes it is good to alternate what you give them.
How else does someone judge a place if not from the reviews?
Because you said it’s still okay for them to eat just with other food….? Why would I throw it away if it’s perfectly edible??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some places will have good reviews but not be a good place for certain things. I never judge a place just on the reviews. I go and review myself. It could say "This place is awesome" but that could be by a person that got a dog toy and dog food. Reptiles are a total different ball game than a dog and cat. And going by what you say that they told you to feed it just bloodworms I am going to say this place is not a good reptile store.

It is ok to feed but they need more then just bloodworms and reptomin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some places will have good reviews but not be a good place for certain things. I never judge a place just on the reviews. I go and review myself. It could say "This place is awesome" but that could be by a person that got a dog toy and dog food. Reptiles are a total different ball game than a dog and cat. And going by what you say that they told you to feed it just bloodworms I am going to say this place is not a good reptile store.

It is ok to feed but they need more then just bloodworms and reptomin.
It’s only temporary because I can get it tomorrow and need time to source for other food such as crickets

1 - 20 of 22 Posts